Discuss Periodic testing part time in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, Have recently discovered this forum and find it brilliant, superb advice being given by switched on (sorry) and experienced members. Since I,ve had a recent knee op, I,ve spent the last few days viewing the different threads/views.
I,m soon to be made redundant and wonder if it,s viable doing PIR,s or small elect jobs on a part time basis ?
I,m aware through reading a previous thread that Indemnity Insurance is a must.
I would not wish to join a body like NIC,etc as I would not be doing enough work to merit it.
I,ll tell you my circumstances and welcome your views: I,m 58, live in Scotland and have dodgy knees, courtesy of too much footie. I,m primarily a maintenance electrician with a decent knowledge of elect testing/theory. I have reasonably recently got my C & G Inspection & Testing (2391) and 17th Edition and have an interest in such.
So please advise, or shoot me down. :)

Hi, Have recently discovered this forum and find it brilliant, superb advice being given by switched on (sorry) and experienced members. Since I,ve had a recent knee op, I,ve spent the last few days viewing the different threads/views.
I,m soon to be made redundant and wonder if it,s viable doing PIR,s or small elect jobs on a part time basis ?
I,m aware through reading a previous thread that Indemnity Insurance is a must.
I would not wish to join a body like NIC,etc as I would not be doing enough work to merit it.
I,ll tell you my circumstances and welcome your views: I,m 58, live in Scotland and have dodgy knees, courtesy of too much footie. I,m primarily a maintenance electrician with a decent knowledge of elect testing/theory. I have reasonably recently got my C & G Inspection & Testing (2391) and 17th Edition and have an interest in such.
So please advise, or shoot me down. :)

Why not you've got the quals. Only thing with PIR'S is some companies do them so fecking cheap you7 can't beat them. Company in my area do them for 60GBP on 3 bed semi. How I don't know.

sounds like a good idea. a few tools and a MFT, PIR report sheets and away you go.

Why not you've got the quals. Only thing with PIR'S is some companies do them so fecking cheap you7 can't beat them. Company in my area do them for 60GBP on 3 bed semi. How I don't know.
that's got to be mickey mouse PIRs then. 5 a day wonders.

Yep, MFT is a multi function tester (unless you already have the individual test instruments). Speak to your council, they may want to see NICEIC or Select membership if the PIR's being submitted to them because of Building Warrant issues etc

Reply to Periodic testing part time in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net