Discuss Periodic testing questions. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a few questions about a periodic inspection and report given to me recently by a letting agent. the property was built in the early 1970's original Wylex BS3036 CU. Just wondered what you guys would code these items as:

1. no mains powered interconnected smoke detection to to comply with BS5839 part 6

2. redundant cable unterminated in CU

3. Black conductors at switches not sleeved as line conductors

4. no back plate to baton lamp holder in utility room

5. earth wires to utility sockets not sleeved

6. sockets mounted at less than 100mm from floor level

7. 16mm meter tails under sized for main fuse ( there is no rating or fuse type visible on the service head and the service head is sealed)

8. main earth 2.5mm under sized

I know that Periodics are a matter of opinion which is why I'm asking for you guys opinions. I have yet to take my 2391 so I consider this to be valuable experience.

I have a few questions about a periodic inspection and report given to me recently by a letting agent. the property was built in the early 1970's original Wylex BS3036 CU. Just wondered what you guys would code these items as:

1. no mains powered interconnected smoke detection to to comply with BS5839 part 6

2. redundant cable unterminated in CU

3. Black conductors at switches not sleeved as line conductors

4. no back plate to baton lamp holder in utility room

5. earth wires to utility sockets not sleeved

6. sockets mounted at less than 100mm from floor level

7. 16mm meter tails under sized for main fuse ( there is no rating or fuse type visible on the service head and the service head is sealed)

8. main earth 2.5mm under sized

I know that Periodics are a matter of opinion which is why I'm asking for you guys opinions. I have yet to take my 2391 so I consider this to be valuable experience.

1 I'd make mention of this with a N/A as a code-the report is to BS7671, not BS5839

2 Code 4

3 Code 4

4 Code 2

5 Code 4

6 Code 4

7 Code 2 if the fuse size can be seen

8 code 2

Can anyone explain why the main tails are undersized for the main fuse, if the main fuse size cannot be confirmed due to an unmarked and sealed service cutout? Does this also mean that the CU main switch is under-rated too, IIRC the Wylex BS 3036 bords had a main switch rating of 60A or 80A depending on no. of ways and therefore should this also be reported?

Is the box entitled 'supply device characteristics' filled in?

If not, you could maybe stretch the code for item 7 to a 3 (requires further investigation).

Has a figure for maximum demand been entered?

Is the box entitled 'supply device characteristics' filled in?

If not, you could maybe stretch the code for item 7 to a 3 (requires further investigation).

Has a figure for maximum demand been entered?

Bs1361 type 2 100A for "primary supply overcurrent protective device" ( I was taught that it you can't check the fuse put unknown and sealed in the box)

Also noted is main switch BS5419 isolator rated at 63A - should this be given a code 2?

The maximum demand box has been left empty!

The main earth has been recorded as 2.5mm, this is part of the DNO's incoming supply cable ( bare strands soldered to lead sheath), so the only rectification for this would be to get the DNO out to replace the cutout.

Last edited:
Well if the fuse actually is 100A then I'd stick with my initial code 2, even though 2 metres of 16mm would always be adequate 'in the real world'

The BS5419 switch is probably a 60A but really for me, this would involve an assessment of maximum demand before I applied any code to that.

Yes, where the DNO have previously supplied an earth connection, it is their responsibility to maintain it. Does this 2.5mm then go to a main earth terminal?

Yes, where the DNO have previously supplied an earth connection, it is their responsibility to maintain it. Does this 2.5mm then go to a main earth terminal?

Yes the 2.5mm is about 100mm long and goes to a MET. From this there is two green insulated cables (about 4mm2 each) going into the CU.

Last edited:
Was it supplied with a back plate, did the manufacturer intend it to be mounted on a back plate?

BS7671 makes particular mention of manufacturers requirements being adhered to even above and beyond the regulations.

Reply to Periodic testing questions. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net