Discuss Periodic Testing & Remedial Works in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

antony73993

I am currently carrying out a periodic test and inspection at a meat factory, the state of the installation is appalling i have found hundreds of faults ranging from damged sockects to undersized cables including a 2.5mm flex on a 250A MCCB:eek:

Obviously the installation is unsatisfactory, i would like to what the law says with regards to remdials is there a set time limit that the customer has to rectify the faults i have always thought it was three months but i would like to know for sure so i can quote the relevant reg.

Also what would the correct proceedure be if the company did not carry out the required works, the site in my opinion is immidately dangerous and staff and visitors are at risk however the company do not seem intrested in carrying out the work.

Also in the event that the company carry out the work themselves or employ another contractor to do it is it common practice to charge to return and retest the circuit that have failed.

I look forward to your thoughts Many thanks

Antony73993

some insurance companys put a time limit on remedials
ive seen some that are 7days for item1 30 days item2
and some that are 30days item1 90days item2
stress to the client that they may not be covered if anything happened
item3 asap because could lead to a 1or 2
hse do not force people to have work done but they say it is the only way a company can cover themselves if things go wrong
dont forget you can isolate anything you dare not leave.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, if i was to turn off everything I thought was dangerous then i might as well turn off the main switch. This place is an accident of a fire waiting to happen. They are aware that it is dangerous but they dont seem to be intrested they are risking the lives of their staff.

If i did isolate the problem circuits i would probably be thrown off site as it would bring the factory to a standstill and whilst safety is my primary concern so is getting paid.

The way I see it
Your contract is to report on the existing electrical installation
You have identified the problems and issued a certificate
The certificate details the problems
You have no right to disconnect anything without the clients permission
It is not your responsibility to set a time period for any work that is required
You may be engaged to retest,but this shoulde not be required because the works that will be carried out should be certificated and can be used by the client along with the existing pir

If the installation was as bad as you state then I would include a covering letter dating the issue of the pir and the dangerous condition with perhaps a urgent time period for remedial work to further cover yourself
in case of inaction

I understand where you coming from but I don't think the company will carryout the work and the site is very dangerous. I have informed them of immediately dangerous defect over two weeks ago and they have made no attempt to rectify or even made safe.

I am sure as a qualified electrician I have a duty of care the users of this equipment have no idea of the danger they are in I don't feel happy leaving the site in this state because it is a preventable accident waiting to happen.

The company has a maintenance team which consist of several mechanical engineers not electricians if any of the work was carried out it is likely that they would do it. They are not 17th edition nor are they competent or the site wouldn't be in this state. They do not test or certify there work.

I am not trying to force the company to use me to do the work but I do feel that they can't ignore these faults. Would the HSE be able to help?

I think des has got it spot on anthony. Your remit is to inspect,test & report what you find and that is all. I know its difficult sometimes but its also better that way. The more you get personally involved the more likely you are to suffer by one form or another.

Dont forget all code 1 deviations must be rectified before you leave ! if you cannot because the customer wont agree you have to fill out and issue a dangerous notice cert and issue it to the customer before you leave to cover yourself ! if you dont and anything happens its your court case.
Regards
Kung.

agreed kung, iv never had to issue one of these though as i rectify any code 1 2 and 3 i come across on the spot and add this to the bill,i agree this before starting and thus dont have to write 'unsatisfactory' so who gets a copy of the dangerous cert. is it just the client? or HSE or in a domestic LABC. nothing as sensible i guess.

Dont forget all code 1 deviations must be rectified before you leave ! if you cannot because the customer wont agree you have to fill out and issue a dangerous notice cert and issue it to the customer before you leave to cover yourself ! if you dont and anything happens its your court case.
Regards
Kung.

I think the dangerous notice you are refering to is the scheme operators procedure only, niceic probably
This notice isn't an IET requirement but is nevertheless an effective tool
When the installation is as bad as described and you know remedials especially code 1s which should be acted on immediately are going to be left unattended then it would be imperative( this is a safety council guide ) that you inform them verbally and then more important than a danger notice write a letter to the client using recorded delivery
This action and only this action will exclude you from any possible liability as the inspector

Reply to Periodic Testing & Remedial Works in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock