Discuss Periodic Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

kevyn

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been asked to P.I.R test a couple of holiday cottages. Can any one give me any pointers as to what are the most common faults that are picked up etc
Does any one have a checklist of things they look for?

The Electrical Safety Council's best practice guide 4 is a good place to start... Periodic testing does take a little bit more experience though, and I would suggest you get some professional indemnity insurance before you sign anything saying that an installation is satisfactory...

There is no one hit wonder with inspection and testing, no crib sheets as everty property is different. You are basically going to have to start at the supply head and work your way through the installation. Set aside 1 day per cottage to cover the inspection and writing up the paperwork.

2391 is the course to do as it will help you understand the regs better with regards to inspection and testing. You should find the majority of faults using your eyes, then its down to interpreting your meter readings for the rest.....

Hi Kevyn

It all comes down to experience and knowing how to interpret the results of your tests however see attached a guide I use if I am in doubt and also see ESC PIR Guide to Inspection

Attachments

• PIR FORM FILLING.pdf
    76 KB · Views: 101
Kevyn

If you download this there is an inspection checklist that may help.

Draft for Public Comment (DPC) - BS 7671:2008 Amendment No 1 - The IET

It's due to come into force in July 2011 anyway so you may as well get used to it.

Reply to Periodic Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net