Discuss 'Perlite' 250W PV panels: Any good? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

When i was receiving quotes for my install i was told to stay well clear of these, cheap and crap.

Not that I've ever heard of the panels either, but it's all very well for someone (e.g. your supplier) to say:

C annot
R ecommend
A
P
urchase

But it would be nice to hear why they are not recommended.

Unreliable?
Lower-than-stated output?
Some other reason?

Cheers,
F

I agree with FB. But thanks for the input, Furrypants.

The panels are approved for MCS etc, and have a full warranty including the usual output guarantees. I find that 'dont buy that Chinese crap' often means the mark-up is poor! :)

I always keep an open mind (but never so open that my brains fall out) so will listen to anyone who has real evidence, good or bad.

Further research is needed ...

Although there's a lot of "Don't buy Chinese", I have yet to see facts which prove or disprove that a MCS-certified (and often insured) panel made in China, is inferior on a cost-of-system-versus-output basis.

So, since my PV array is eligible for 43p FiT to compensate me for experimenting - the whole idea of FiT, no? - (assuming no further government attempts to move the goalposts), I thought that I'd try some Chinese-made panels <half-the-cost--per-panel-of-Sanyo> for myself and give genuine feedback on how well they perform, relative to expectations as per various solar estimation methodologies. I am known for being blunt; if the panels turn out to be crap, I'll name and shame.

My Chinese-panel complete system (inverter, roof mountings, cables etc) cost 3/4 what a similar-nominal-output Sanyo system would have done. So if I get at least 3/4 of the output that a Sanyo system gives, then I should be happy.

My system, according to SAP2009 should generate 3000kWh per year. That figure is a guideline, regardless of the type of panel or inverter used.
So if I paid 3/4 as much for a Chinese system, I can affored to only yield 2250kWh per year and I would still achieve the same percentage rate of return on my outlay, albeit a lower return in absolute £ terms - offset by an overall lower purchase cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was a reputable installer (did not go with him in the end). he said they where of very poor quility and said use anything but them. They did nor show a good return when put through PVsol either. I'm not averse to unknown panels as i have Linuo panels on my roof as recommended on here, very very happy with them.

OK.

They have an insurance underwritten warranty of ten years. Tolerance of -0% & +3% which is better than some of the original Sharp NU245's on both counts.

A little puzzled over the
"cell efficiency of up to 17.44% " Up to? so might be lower in normal conditions?
Not heard of them but there again I hadn't heard of lots panels two years ago either. I think there are far worse out there and IMO that includes Sharp (For quality)

As for this worry about Chinese panels it is fact that half of all solar cells come out of china. Germany fit more Chinese panels than any others including their own. So your probably fitting Chinese panels now anyway. If you want top notch on your roof fit Sanyo, end of. If you want competitive priced reasonable out put then they are all much the muchness. For piece of mind anything with a ten year warranty in my book is going to be OK.

I will give them a run on PVSOL and see how they compare with what we normally fit.

I thought Westech solar in oxfordshire were the uk stockist of perlight. up close they look like any mid range module, reasonably well made but not interesting enough to make me look at the data.

OK the Perlite PLM250M-60 does not appear on PVSOL and I've just updated it so I have a concern here but the PLM250/20 is on PVSOL and for a south facing, 30 degree pitch, Diehl Platinum 3800S inverter the resulting annual yield is just over 3,700 kWh. Norfolk Location. So not to bad really.

I do have a concern on them not being on PVSOL but that's not to say it isn't a database issue with PVSOL. I would suggest checking out the MCS certificate as well.

I do have a concern on them not being on PVSOL but that's not to say it isn't a database issue with PVSOL. I would suggest checking out the MCS certificate as well.

So, perhaps a good indicator of a worthwhile panel might be its presence on PVSOL?

Which panels are included in PVSOL - and what's good/bad?
I'm sure that readers might find that kind of basic info very interesting.

Cheers,
F

Thanks for your intelligent analyses, gentlemen.

Unless someone tells me the output is poor, or they are otherwise mis-described, I’m going to go ahead with the purchase, and will report in a few months.

I’m encouraged by the guarantee. Don’t forget that anything sold in the UK is covered by our very robust consumer-protection legislation.

For example, if the panels fail, or for example only produce 200W instead of 250W under ideal conditions, there is nothing to stop the whole lot being sent back to the UK seller with a demand for full refund, backed up by a small claims action if necessary (which is issued on line and costs under £100).

Sale of Goods Act 1979
Section 13. Sale by description.E+W+S+N.I.
(1)Where there is a contract for the sale of goods by description, there is an implied term that the goods will correspond with the description.

But buying say via EBay directly from Hong Kong would be a very different matter, and most definitely caveat emptor!

The other option from the same supplier is the Taiwanese Ubbink Delsolar 250W Panel:

Ubbink Delsolar 250W Mono Solar PV Panel - MCS Accredited

Same price and spec, but available only with silver frames.

Are they in the database?

Spec now changed: it will be 2 x 16-panel strings.

Total 2 x 4 kW. Two inverters, two phases.

Directly South facing, unshaded steel building, 15º roof pitch (maybe upped to 20º with rear spacers), South Norfolk, UK.

Last edited:
Just checked on my software for you, and the ubbink 250 looks like it performs well (on paper) but it does not list the perlite 250 (but my software is 18 months old), but it does list the 235 which looks OK.
Due to the physics of how a PV cell works, unless you have the hybrids, like Sanyo, there is not that much real difference in panel performance, as long as the quality is good.
There are no physical moving parts in a PV panel, so as such, nothing to wear out.
Over 50% of panels installed worldwide are Chinese, so they can not be all bad.
My opinion, if you are happy to take a punt then go for it, would I sell an unknown panel to a customer? No I wouldn't.
I hope this helps.

Initial choice of inverters is the EverSol TL4600:

Solarexpo_grid tie inverter VDE_Solar PV inverter China OEM-EVER Solar

Does anyone know this model? Costs £1,350 + VAT

The panels will be series-wired in 16-unit arrays with an o/c voltage of approx 600Vdc, so they need an inverter that can handle this input voltage. It appears not many do, but this one goes up to 680V so should be OK.

The DC is being run over 100m from the barn roof to the house, on 10mm 4-core u/g SWA, so the higher the voltage the better, to minimise volt drop and energy loss.

Not so keen on Chinese Inverters though, and a 4600tl would be too small for 8KW and to big for 4KW.
Could you not use an SMA, maybe a waterproof one if needed, and fit the generation meter that end also.
I know people do, but I am not a fan of long DC runs, it is High voltage with no real protection, Your PV system will be no good to you if you end up dead.

So, perhaps a good indicator of a worthwhile panel might be its presence on PVSOL?

Which panels are included in PVSOL - and what's good/bad?
I'm sure that readers might find that kind of basic info very interesting.

Cheers,
F

I wouldn't see PVSOL as being particular over make or model in anyway shape or form and I certainly wouldn't use PVSOL as a guide to quality. It is a design tool, nothing more. Their database isn't made up of their preference. If you've seen PVSOL you would of seen the numbers of manufactures and panels on there.

The other option from the same supplier is the Taiwanese Ubbink Delsolar 250W Panel:

Ubbink Delsolar 250W Mono Solar PV Panel - MCS Accredited

Same price and spec, but available only with silver frames.

Are they in the database?

Spec now changed: it will be 2 x 16-panel strings.

Total 2 x 4 kW. Two inverters, two phases.

Directly South facing, unshaded steel building, 15º roof pitch (maybe upped to 20º with rear spacers), South Norfolk, UK.

Ubbink if was my option over the Perlite only because I do have knowledge of Ubbink product.

Eversolar inverters are fine, equal to a Fiesta in car terms, performs well, just a bit basic.

… Diehl Platinum 3800S inverter …

Hey, Mark, thanks for the inverter recommendation. Looks good. 780Vdc max so not stressed at 600-ish.

Price OK too. I’ll go for this one.

Speccing this kind of thing for the first time is a hassle: so many variables!

Does it matter if one slightly over-specs the inverter to allow for adding a few panels in the future? Especially as panels get cheaper. There is enough roof space and it seems a shame to waste it.

Not so keen on Chinese Inverters though, and a 4600tl would be too small for 8KW and to big for 4KW.
Could you not use an SMA, maybe a waterproof one if needed, and fit the generation meter that end also.
I know people do, but I am not a fan of long DC runs, it is High voltage with no real protection, Your PV system will be no good to you if you end up dead.

Yes, I know, but I will absolutely certainly end up dead anyway. But not quite yet! :)

It will be underground SWA with earthed armour.

I have 12kV overheads across my garden, on crappy old poles and within easy reach of my digger, forklift and sons’ kites etc. So some MV DC underground will complete the set. We do have a defibrillator in the cupboard, and my girlfriend might even like me enough not to forget to use it … :)

BTW, SMA inverters won’t handle the voltage.

I don’t want to have to buy half a ton of copper just to keep the voltage drop down, which I would if I run LV AC to the house, since there’s not a lot of point in expensively harvesting the sun’s energy just to heat the ground with hot wires :)

My opinion, if you are happy to take a punt then go for it, would I sell an unknown panel to a customer? No I wouldn't.
I hope this helps.
Yes, it’s great advice and makes much sense. Thanks.

I spend much of my time doing stuff in a non-standard way and saving money, and do virtually everything myself. That way I can live in a fantastic house I could not otherwise afford.

Initial choice of inverters is the EverSol TL4600:

Solarexpo_grid tie inverter VDE_Solar PV inverter China OEM-EVER Solar

Does anyone know this model? Costs £1,350 + VAT

The panels will be series-wired in 16-unit arrays with an o/c voltage of approx 600Vdc, so they need an inverter that can handle this input voltage. It appears not many do, but this one goes up to 680V so should be OK.

The DC is being run over 100m from the barn roof to the house, on 10mm 4-core u/g SWA, so the higher the voltage the better, to minimise volt drop and energy loss.

If my choice the Ubbink Delsolar D6M250B3A, 1 String of 16 panels on Diehl Platinum 3800S, South at 15degree pitch is just over 3,600kWh per year estimate. The Perlite on the same pitch (15degree) is 3,400kWh per year. Same inverter and I do rate the Diehl range. 10yr warranty as standard.

Reply to 'Perlite' 250W PV panels: Any good? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock