Discuss Permanent 12 volt socket to connect 12 volt devices to. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

BML

I recently purchased what seems to be quite an effective tyre compressor to use on a Motor Caravan with 60/65 lbs pressure. I say, "what seems to be quite effective" because unlike a couple of other tyre compressors it does actually raise the tyre pressures.
However, the wires from the battery to the tyre compressor get quite warm in the few minutes that it is pumping. I know little about electrics but I thought that cables were not meant to get hot and if they do it indicates a problem such as overload.
I wonder if increasing the strength/size of the cables connecting the pump to the battery would resolve the matter and more to the point if having a socket attached to the inside of the engine bay with an appropriate plug fitted to the compressor would be a better connection than crocodile clips.

A motor caravan is a heavy vehicle to blow a tyre up with one of those small compressors. Remember there is no stored air to give you have a chance; you are effectively jacking the vehicle up.
That said , heavier cables would be better , but the cables should be designed for the load. Any type of plug and socket will also get warm, it is quite normal.
Cigar lighter sockets were designed to carry a heavy load , but for a short time.
If you are trying to blow the tyres up from really soft/flat , after an extended period of standing ,get a small tank type compressor, or help your smaller one out by taking the load from the vehicle with a jack.

Direct to the battery would be my preference , or fuse a plug from a separate battery feed so that there is no chance that you will damage any vehicle wiring , or interfere with any ECU controlled circuits.

cables will normally warm up somewhat. these mini compressors are designed mainly fot topping up pressure, not for full inflation of a completely flat tyre. some even have a little notice advising not to runn continuously for more than a minute or so. and the longer the leads are, the higher their resistance, which is what causes them to warm up.

Thanks for the information now for a supplementary question. The genius that designed my camper placed the battery in such a difficult position that its very difficult to attach Crocodile clips to it. Is there such a thing as a 12 volt socket that can be fixed to say the engine space which I could use to plug a 12 volt socket into.

There are a number of plugs and sockets available.
Most commonly used for this sort of thing is a cigar lighter type.

Power Input: DC 12V Max Current: 15A. I'm unable to find a caravan accessory web page with the socket and plug I need.

A cigar lighter type socket would probably set the wiring alight if one connected jump leads through it and I think rather than know that a socket directly connected to the battery would be more effective.

I apologise if I have not made myself clear but I consider the wiring related to a cigarette socket not as safe as a direct connection from a battery which is why I'm looking for an appropriate socket and plug connection. The socket to be directly wired from the battery via a fuse and a plug to be connected to the compressor.

What about finding out the strength of wire required and then running that strength of wire from the battery positive and battery negative to a weather proof 13amp socket secured within the engine bay. Then attach the same strength wire to the appropriate points on a 13 amp plug secured to the tyre compressor?

You say your compressor is 15 amps so you would need your socket to match that as a minimum.
The link Spin gave you is 50 amp , so that is more than suitable for your needs.
Cable 1.5 mm will give you 20 amps and 2 mm will give you 25 amps, 2.5 mm will give you 30 amps . If it is a long run the 2mm or 2.5 will be more prudent for volt drop. These cables are singles.

These are 2 core , and will probably be more suitable for added protection.
Plain Copper Multi Core Thin Wall Cable | 12 Volt Planet - http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/plain-copper-multi-core-thin-wall-cable.html
This site will have all you need .
This link has a volt drop calculator if you need it .

If these links don't take you direct to the cable etc, explore the site it has loads of information that you may need.

Socket. Blue Sea Systems Weatherproof 12V DC Socket - http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/blue-sea-systems-weatherproof-12v-dc-socket.html

Volt drop- Cable sizing and selection | 12 volt planet - http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/cable-sizing-selection.html

Last edited:
It's ok. Good luck.
Don't forget to fuse it to the battery.

PS. Avoid the plastic bayonet type inline holder . They tend to melt and fail.

Last edited:

Reply to Permanent 12 volt socket to connect 12 volt devices to. in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock