Discuss Petrol Generator to power my boiler? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jparker86

Hello,

Trying to use a 2.8kva generator to power my home boiler in event of power cut. Generator will power the fridge, freezer, mobile phone charger but the boiler doesn't seem to work.

It will "Power On" but the error light flashes on the boiler to show error with fan / flume so won't commence the ignition sequence.

The moment the mains power is switched back on- the boiler springs back to life...

Any ideas?

Hello,

Trying to use a 2.8kva generator to power my home boiler in event of power cut. Generator will power the fridge, freezer, mobile phone charger but the boiler doesn't seem to work.

It will "Power On" but the error light flashes on the boiler to show error with fan / flume so won't commence the ignition sequence.

The moment the mains power is switched back on- the boiler springs back to life...

Any ideas?

Modern boilers have a LOT of electronics on board and electronics can be a bit fussy about the quality of the electricity you're trying to feed them with.

Generators are not renowned for supplying good quality electricity. Good enough for fridges & freezers maybe, but not something like a computer - or boiler.

That's why the boiler "springs back to life" when the nice, clean and smooth mains power is reconnected to it.

Thank you-

Would any particular type generator be more better for giving that clean smooth electricity?

It should be possible to smooth the output of the generator but I am not sufficiently clued up to be able to advise.

Boilers I understand. Generators are another kettle of horses.

Hang on a bit and hopefully some of our more learned members can advise.

Meanwhile, keep that generator away from the boiler. I'm surprised that you haven't already damaged it!!

Most gennies have a 12vdc or 24vdc socket,...maybe a cheaper idea to test a few pure signwave invertors, just for the boiler supply. You will need to find the total wattage the boiler consumes under full operation, and buy invertor to suit

Get yourself a good quality generator with inverter output.

Here's a small one:
Honda EU20i Portable Generator

and do not get a "modified sinewave" inverter in maplins! it will output same kind of crap mains as a cheap generator
MV AC Master: Mastervolt AC Master 12V 300W pure sine inverter
something like that would do better...

Jesus a £1000 for a 1.6KW genny!!!!!! Madness!!

Then £250 for a 300w inverter!!! ....Wow!!!

Doesn't anyone shop around anymore?? There are far better bargains to be found out there, if you're willing to spend the time to look!!

For the sort of money that tiny Honda genny is costing, you can find a very decent electric start 6 KVA / 5.5KW AVR generator....

For the sort of money that tiny Honda genny is costing, you can find a very decent electric start 6 KVA / 5.5KW AVR generator....

OK then. Just put up a link to a top quality 6KVA generator, with the same noise level, inverter output, warranty, and UK delivery, priced at £1000.

I recon that you get what you pay for.

Hi Guys,
Quick question... I put my voltmeter on the 12V output and its showing 15-16V output... Is that normal or should it be giving off a constant 12v?

Hi Guys,
Quick question... I put my voltmeter on the 12V output and its showing 15-16V output... Is that normal or should it be giving off a constant 12v?

that will be the no-load voltage. soon as you load it up, the volts will drop.

Hello,

Any ideas?

Just out of interest, how are you connecting these items to the generator, direct by plug?

OK then. Just put up a link to a top quality 6KVA generator, with the same noise level, inverter output, warranty, and UK delivery, priced at £1000.

I recon that you get what you pay for.

Sorry only just seen your above post....

Look around yourself, one of the forum members found a decent 6 KVA AVR generator for i think around £900. But you can find more than a few suitable AVR gensets at that sort of money. a £1000 for a tiny 1.6 KVA genset is madness in anyone language!!

Reply to Petrol Generator to power my boiler? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net