Discuss pfc testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

james king

hi all,

i have carryed out a pfc test at collage! i am confused about useing the 2 or 3 wire test. i have read that u put the megger on pfc high and test between L incomer and E with all earthing connected. but i spoke to another spark last night who said u need a 3 lead test to test between L,E and N ???

also while testing the megger came up with trip even though there is not a rcd

ok thnsks, can u please explains why i get the same reading with 2 lead or 3 lead test?

and does it only matter how many leads u use by what meter you are using?

The more leads you have, the better the collage.;)

Ipsc is the prospective short circuit current and the highest theoretical value must be entered to ensure that protective device can break a current of this magnitude safely.

The fault current could be
  • Phase to Neutral,
  • Phase to Earth
  • Phase to Phase for 3 phase supplies
The test should be carried out for all these, however most testers cannot cope with a 400V test voltage. It is therefore permitted to double the P-N result and use that as the Ipsc result for TPN supplies. The highest value of the three should be entered as this is the maximum current that could, in worst case scenario, flow.

A 3 lead tester may have a different range for P-E and P-N. If it only has one range, swap the earth and neutral leads to get the other result. You may have to calculate Ipsc from the "Zs" reading if there is no Ipsc range.

A 2 lead tester is easy, test P-N (double it for TPN supplies) and P-E and enter the highest value.

It should be established that earth continuity exists before carrying out P-E tests. Most modern testers have a way of warning you if this is not the case.

Sorry, typing lag.
You will very likely get the same result for a TNCS supply because the E & N are bonded at the cut-out. You may get the same for a TNS, but very unlikely to get the same fo a TT

megger testers wil show trip if there is a poor connection on any of the eads. mine did it ast week and it was a fuse in the neutral lead blown.

a poor connection on the ends?

so am i corrent in saying PFC test is

L=red lead
N= black lead
E= green leed

and then take the resualt down in Ka?

a poor connection on the ends?

so am i corrent in saying PFC test is

L=red lead
N= black lead
E= green leed

and then take the resualt down in Ka?

The test you describe there is the PEFC (Prospective Earth Fault Current)

You also need to measure PSCC (Prospective Short Circuit Current) measured between L&N (Red lead on Line, Black+Green leads on Neutral)

The highest of these two readings is then recorded as the PFC for the installation.

sorry lenny u r confusing me u told me in your 1st post that its a 3 lead test. can u plz describe all 3 test to me? with pscc you put BOTH probes on the N? so you always use 3leads on those tests?

Sorry, on the 'high' loop setting you can use the 2 leads for measuring the PFC, Red on line & Green on CPC for PEFC. Red on line & Green on Neutral for PSCC.

The highest of these two is recorded as the PFC.

I don't know your particular meter and how, or if it displays Ipsc, so I can only say that this is not necessarily the case.
Your question suggests that you may be a little bit short of the level of experience or understanding to take this on your own without risking damage to your meter, your installation or most importantly, yourself. This is a live test and one of the potentially most dangerous at that. Most here will always try to help others where they can, and most would agree that live testing is not something you can learn to do over a forum like this. You really need someone to properly show you how to do it, how to interpret the results, and what precautions you need to take.

The highest figure obtained for your PEFC and PSCC tests is the PFC, write that on the forms.

Reply to pfc testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock