Discuss Pfc ?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sivoodoo

Hi all,

Just measured Zs at socket outlets and I get a reading of 120 ohms, also the PFC is 2A.

I take it no earthing, the supply incomer has a green cable coming out of it after the cutout, which goes no where?

Customer has ordered a PME.

Could someone explain to me the PFC result, I am currently study the 2391 at college, but am as yet to cover Fault currents.

Thanks

Si.

Hi all,

Just measured Zs at socket outlets and I get a reading of 120 ohms, also the PFC is 2A.

I take it no earthing, the supply incomer has a green cable coming out of it after the cutout, which goes no where?

Customer has ordered a PME.

Could someone explain to me the PFC result, I am currently study the 2391 at college, but am as yet to cover Fault currents.

Thanks

Si.

To be honest mate, you should real know that by now, if your on 2391 inspection and testing.... Its near enough basics..

Anyway..
The fault current is the amount of current that is expected to flow in the event of a fault / short. Basically to calculate this, you divide the supply voltage by your Zs value. 230 / 120 = 1.91A (2A)
That is a total complete failure lol....
It sounds like the earth as you say is missing, and the reason for 120 ohms Zs suggests that it is finding a path back to Earth.. Through ground maybe..
Its not on a TT or anything is it??.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi is there a met block (maim earth terminal) near the board?
have you taken a ze reading?
its hard to say what the problem without more info however at a guess and
this is only a guess it looks like the main earth conductor has been removed
from the met to take a Ze reading and not been reconnected

If the client has ordered PME then i assume its a TT.

If it is, then ideally your Ze could do with being under 100 ohms, but i dont see it being a huge problem at 120 as this would still bring the touch voltage well under 50V.

The only time to be a little concerned is over 200 ohms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its an old back to back house,
The supply cable enters the house in the external cellar wall and into the cutout, There is a cut off Earth cable protruding from the supply after the cut out.
The supply goes back into the wall where it reamerges into the meter in an adjoining room.
Just before the meter the supply cable splits off an earth cable to the MET.

The meter must have been moved at some point, but why there is a terminated earth coming from one part of the supply is odd.

Tricky.

Not sure i understand the earth cable after the cutout?

They normally come out from the service head into an MET.

Im sure you already know this so, is there any chance you can post a pic sometime?

Reply to Pfc ?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock