Discuss Phase rotation advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Phil

-
Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm after some advice on my current situation as I've never came across this before and trying to find answers online are not producing any results.

Basically I've got a 3 Phase motor, checked voltages across the 3 lines and neutral, everything is as it should be.

Checked rotation, L1 to L2 ok, L2 to L3 is not showing rotation but it's showing 400V, L3 to L1 is ok.

Why would L2 to L3 not show rotation but will show 400V?

Thank you for any advice.

Hello all,
I'm after some advice on my current situation as I've never came across this before and trying to find answers online are not producing any results.

Basically I've got a 3 Phase motor, checked voltages across the 3 lines and neutral, everything is as it should be.

Checked rotation, L1 to L2 ok, L2 to L3 is not showing rotation but it's showing 400V, L3 to L1 is ok.

What test equipment are you using?

Just to add to my original post, I've load tested the genset with a 3 Phase heater whilst out on site, again everything was at it should.

The reason for the questions is because someone has hired one of our generators for a hoist, last night the generator was shutting down for reverse power. I've came to site, checked everything over with the generator, checked the wiring up to the hoist and now waiting for their hoist engineer to turn up.

Edit: just seen your reply. It's a ethos 4164 phase rotation tester.

Hello all,

Why would you have TP& N at the three phase motor? I take it the motor is a bog standard Squirrel cage type machine, nothing special about it?

don't quite understand your question. to check rotation, you connect all 3 lines to the rotation meter. then it shows the direction of the phase rotation, clockwise or anti-clockwise.
Sorry, it probably the way I worded my post.

I know how to check phase rotation but when I check between L2 and L3 no indication is shown for the direction of rotation, yet 400V is shown. When I check between L1 and L2, correct rotation is shown and between L3 and L1 correct rotation is shown.

Yes Pete, it's a squirrel cage type machine.

clear now, having watched the video that pete posted. i've never checked rotation using his 2nd method.

You need a new tester Phil.
Do you think everything is as it should be? I can get a new tester when I get back to the depot today or tomorrow.
I'm just really confused why it doesn't show up L2 to L3 but does L3 to L1.
I'm just trying to rule everything out before the hoist engineer turns up starts blaming the generator.

maybe some dark red medication from Chile or Italy might help?

Reply to Phase rotation advice in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net