Discuss Philips sgr001 ballast, help wiring plug in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rory13

Hi. I ve purchased two of these ballast, reflector lamp kits. Internally they are already wired, but i need to wire the socket and extend the cable. As you can see in the photos there are two cables coming into the ballast. The only reasonable explanation to it is that they were connected in series with the same power cable. I know that the guy who had them was using them for a greenhouse having 10 identical ones. I dont need any in series connection. Would a cable in any side be the same, or do you think it matter which side ? Google and Philips website did not yield any info about this model. The problem is, the cable has inside 4 wires. blue, red, black-white and brown. From what i see inside the ballast i suspect that blue and brown have to be connected to the power and the others are earth. Am i correct ? Don't want to damage anything in my electricity board, the property is rented and already had electricity issues, as well as some incompetent electricians with no sense of safety. p.s. i m out of the UK for a while and english is not the main language so i d like to avoid seeking professional help if i can. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attachments

• 100_1370.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 39
This is something that could result in problems, because we cannot properly check the lamp.
It looks like it is a standard loop in with an additional cable, but you would need to be sure that they do not need to be wired in series (it does sound unlikely).
Check the rating of the fitting and ensure you know what wiring does what on the fitting, you would only need to consider the incoming cable connections.
I would say that is does not look like the fitting is earthed and it should be earthed, however I cannot tell for sure.

p.s. i m out of the UK for a while and english is not the main language so i d like to avoid seeking professional help if i can. Thanks in advance for the help.

Well ive heard some excuses in my time but I believe thats probably the best!...

Your the out the UK for a while?...so why ask us now, you could still get an electrican to do it...and your English seems perfect??...dont think youll have issues there!...

Anyway cant see the wiring properly, looks like brown is a permanent line linked through, blue and black neutral and line...although cant see a cpc and it needs one...

Does also look like it could be in series...

All just guesses though, get some out to look at it properly.

Well ive heard some excuses in my time but I believe thats probably the best!...

Your the out the UK for a while?...so why ask us now, you could still get an electrican to do it...and your English seems perfect??...dont think youll have issues there!...

My english is perfect but finding someone who communicates in english ''an electrician''where i am is not an easy task... I ve had 4 electricians coming to check my faulty main switch board, which had an issue, and they were touching the live cables coming into the property with their bare hands, while sparks were obvious. I might nit have a clue but i m in a way better than them. I know electricity from a theoretical perspective but definately not expericenced enough in practice. From the 4 cables coming into the ballast, only brown and blue are ending on the ballast internals, as can be seen in the photo. The other 2 are just entering and leaving with a plastic thing in the middle which i believe is just a fuse. The bulb is just a typical philips son T 400w hps.

Where cables are connecting inside, and specifically blue and brown, there are the signs N and S and the device is made in holland. Also there are 2 cable attaching screws with the earth sign that have nothing attached to them, one on each side.

I'd say ones a capacitor and ones a igniter and other a ballast ??? Power to ballast , from ballast to igniter , igniter to lamp....

Again just guessing .. But hope you get there..

From the 4 cables coming into the ballast, only brown and blue are ending on the ballast internals, as can be seen in the photo. The other 2 are just entering and leaving with a plastic thing in the middle which i believe is just a fuse. The bulb is just a typical philips son T 400w hps.
The black and the blue are connected to the ballast. The brown and black/white are simply connected through, the green things are wire connectors.

I'd say ones a capacitor and ones a igniter and other a ballast ??? Power to ballast , from ballast to igniter , igniter to lamp....

Again just guessing .. But hope you get there..

All the internals like ballast, igniter lamp are already wired, i just need to stick a cable coming from the socket. Only the blue and brown go to the internals like ballast, igniter and such, so am i right to assume that these are the ones to be connected to a shuko plug ?

Reply to Philips sgr001 ballast, help wiring plug in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net