Discuss phone and data in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

diditrain

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for a little bit of info if you would be so kind.

I would like to have a phone point in all of my rooms at home so i have ran two cat 5e from each room back to a location under my stairs. One for phone and one for data.
In the past i just daisy chained them but read various threads stating that a central hub set up is the way to go nowadays.

Anyway i am just a little bit unsure about what to do with the cables under my stairs. Do i terminate all of the cables to a single patch panel or have one for phone and one for data.

Thank`s in advance

Hi all, looking for a little bit of info if you would be so kind.

I would like to have a phone point in all of my rooms at home so i have ran two cat 5e from each room back to a location under my stairs. One for phone and one for data.
In the past i just daisy chained them but read various threads stating that a central hub set up is the way to go nowadays.

Anyway i am just a little bit unsure about what to do with the cables under my stairs. Do i terminate all of the cables to a single patch panel or have one for phone and one for data.

Thank`s in advance

Personally I'd terminate them on to a patchpanel, then use patch leads. You then have the choice and flexibility to use the ports however you need.
Don't know how many ports on yo would be looking at?
If you need say 16 get a 24 way patch panel and wire the incoming phone line to the last 4 then use patch leads to "patch in" where you need a telephone. For data just patch in the router or swtich

I am probably looking at phone in 6 rooms so far, maybe seven later on and a data point at seven places.
When you say wire the phone to the last four do you mean that you take your phone line to the punchdown part of the patch panel and then just link it to the other three from the first one that you took the phone line to

When you say wire the phone to the last four do you mean that you take your phone line to the punchdown part of the patch panel and then just link it to the other three from the first one that you took the phone line to

Yep.... Unless your talking about a PBX system or otherwise IMHO this would be the easiest was to distribute the telephone line.

I am probably looking at phone in 6 rooms so far, maybe seven later on and a data point at seven places.

If it's a single telephone line or multiple lines you have, you would normally cable in CW1308 and present the line on a standard BT style line jack. The patch panel end would be an Krone IDC box. Then you can jumper the line to each outgoing cable.
The data lines are simply CAT5e presented onto RJ45 outlets. A patch panel would be ideal in that case for patching to various devices.

If you intend to present the phone lines as BT style line jacks, you'll find that CAT5e conductors are too big for the IDC connection on the faceplate and have a tendancy to break the IDC. The same thing is true at the final line connection under the stairs. BT give you the line on CW1308 telephone cable which is effectively too small for a CAT5e patch panel IDC.

My phone cable has been jointed somewhere already as i did not have a BT master when i moved in.
I have now ran a Cat 5e from where my original phone point was to a location under my stairs.
Not too sure which route i will adopt as it is all complete jargon to me at the moment. Need to have a good read up on the subject matter me think`s.
Thank`s for the replies so far. Much appreciated

I would invest a few pennies more and make in all the rooms a double RJ45 socket(CAT5 wired), so you can decide to use it the way you want it.
you can patch it for telephone, but also for network(Wired network is always more stable then Wireless)

in my house I have 2x2 in the livingroom, 2x2 in kitchen, and 1x2 in every bedroom(3 of them)
even if you won't use them now, the few pennies you pay extra on 2 cables to all points, and the double sockets are worth it.

You also need to make patch cables for the central location, and cables from the RJ45 to RJ11 to connect to the telephones

Reply to phone and data in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock