Discuss Phone the boiler. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

guest119

OK, something I know sod all about but it may be commonplace these days.
We recently bought a static caravan an hour away from home and it has central heating from a gas fired boiler and trvs.
Question is, is there a device I can install so that come the winter I can phone into a switch to fire up the heating?
I could Google it but I'd rather hear from somebody that knows.
Thanks.

Boydy

Will you have wifi in the caravan ? If yes you could use a heatmiser system and their app, ok until the router needs resetting.

I'm sure my mate had a few units that were designed for dialling you if you had a flood but it had other contacts and attachments you could activate by dialling it.

Do you mean a device like an alarm system where when alarm is armed and a zone is triggered the panel dials out to house holder? Only in reverse?

I know that certain intruder alarm systems can have switchable lv circuits run through them that links to the dialer.
Must be something simpler though.

There is something more reliable,dependable and it has a working life of maybe 80 years...but she expects a card on her birthday...

I know that certain intruder alarm systems can have switchable lv circuits run through them that links to the dialer.
Must be something simpler though.

asterix is the only dialer I can think of other than the alarm ones andy, might be a little complex for his needs though

why not just fit a stat that you can set at, say 12 deg. then it would come on automatically at that temp.?

GSM Autodialer

Same thing, only less than a ton, have seen it a bit cheaper too. No need to spend too much!!

have one similar to fit in a remote property for the heating but is this case its all electric, so the remote switches on the supply to two contactors that energise 40 Amps of wall radiators.

who needs fancy expensive IPhone apps, pah, just text your heating on for 90 quid

Last edited by a moderator:
Salus IT 500 - but you need broadband. I've got this one at home and its excellent. There is also a "holiday" feature and you can set the frost stat up to 9 degrees C

A frost stat would surely suffice as tel has said.

I have had 5 statics on a site in Mid Wales for 10 years. Some of the boilers had a timer clock on them (Options on switching :- Permanent On, Timed, Permanent Off) so I fitted wired room stats in the hallways and switched the boiler to permanent On. When turned down to frost mode the boiler will come on at about +5C, some stats can be tweeked to trigger at about +2C. Remember this is air temperature inside the caravan, so outside it could be -5C or lower. If you intend closing the caravan over the winter period ensure you turn the water off at the stopcock and disconnect the water pipe from the caravan, then drain the hot and cold system down, if you have a compressor blow the system through. Leave the electric switched on and the boiler turned down to low. Finally, turn your stat to frost. A few years ago we had a very cold spell (-19C), the caravan got through a bottle of gas in 10 days. It's worth a visit once a month during the winter just to keep an eye on it and put problems right before they become a disaster. pm me if you need anymore info.

Yes, there is anti-freeze in caravan systems, but if you switch your system off over winter (to save gas) you will come back in spring to find the inside of the van covered in black mold and it takes hours to clean off (from experience). Over the next 2 weekends I shall be shutting down my vans, insides get a very good clean, hot and cold get blown out and antifreeze in all u-bends and toilet cysterns. I shall visit at least once a month to keep an eye on them, more often if weather dier.

Reply to Phone the boiler. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock