Discuss PIR - Am I allowed to do it??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chrisgc

Hi all,

I am just at the stage of listing my things I can do and cant do etc.

I have my 17th Edition and EAL Level 2 Certificate Domestic Electrical Installers and was wondering if I am allowed to do periodic inspections??

This would only be for land lords and obviously your normal privately owned house owners as I dont undertake any commercial.

I would really appreciate a definitive answer from someone (and if your local will buy you a pint lol).

Chris

YES YOU CAN!!!

BUT

if your competence ever got called in to question what technical qualification have you got to back your self up in court!

2391 is the bad boy you need!!

oh yeah and Professional Indemnity Insurance is also recomended!!

YES YOU CAN!!!

BUT

if your competence ever got called in to question what technical qualification have you got to back your self up in court!

2391 is the bad boy you need!!

oh yeah and Professional Indemnity Insurance is also recomended!!

I totally agree with what you say DurhamSparky and am definately looking into do the 2391 in a couple of years time.

BUT I was also just going to add onto my thread that I have yet to decide what competent person scheme to join.

I want to go with NICEIC (mainly because the ill informed public seem to believe you HAVE to be with them - which in my view needs changing).

ALSO I am under the impressions that with the others ie. Elecsa, Napit etc they would NOT accept me with the quals I have - is this right?

And if so I am under the impression that NICEIC dont allow PIR's - is that right too??

Your reply would be gratefully appreciated again,

Thanks
Chris

NIC is one of the Biggest Consumer Scams out there!!

with your quals you have the BARE MIN to register on any scheme!!

Honestly Speaking i would recommend ELECSA as its not over powering like the NIC and its aimed at the contractor not Joe Public..

NIC yes is more well known but in domestic market people aint got a bloody clue!!! why you think cowboys thrive!

Elecsa are second biggest and Owned by the ECA! :)

unfortunately the NIC or Elecsa wont allow you to do PIR certs with there LOGO on with out shelling out Mega Bucks for a site assessment on top of your other assessment to join! (another scam) PIR are non notification so why pay them money for some thing you can do for free!!

only Napit includes this in there package! Im Elscsa and i do PIR!!!

its all a load of tosh !!!!!

not very helpfull try harder:
as said Napit allow pir to be carried out as part of their membership but you require additional pi insurance.

This is news to me, it only came to light recently and ive carried out many pir's.

im of same views, i already paid for memberships and insurances and calibrated eqquipment and vehicle costs etc etc etc so they can go jump if they think im shelling out any more.

Use whatever pir form you choose just dont add a scheme logo to it, i will issue the same and fight it in court if it ever came to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i use software that prints out forms any way so i don't use the Scams sorry "Schemes" stuff!!!

mines all generic and maybe some times i cant be bothered to remove the elecsa logo :rolleyes:

DurhamSparky

Just a couple of questions:

1) With my quals am I able to join ELECSA?? As I was under the impression that I did not meet their criteria?

2) Also so can you confirm that I AM allowed to do PIR's? (As long as not indicating on my PIR inspections sheets etc that their is no endorsement from a competent person scheme)?

3) If I did decide to do PIR's would I need to take out an additional insurance on top of my normal Public Liability? If so what type of insurance?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Chris

hi mate,

check

http://www.elecsa.co.uk/downloads/GuidetoPartP_August2009.pdf

dont just go with what people tell you you can or cant do actually research the facts..!! you be surprised.

you need professional indemnity insurance on top of Public...!! about 500k

no need to tell people your PIR aint endorsed as it don't matter!!

Thanks for that Steve,

Does seem like NICEIC charge for every minute thing even probably admin changes.

Just a few last questions:

1) Do you know anyone who is with ELECSA who only has the EAL level 2 domestic installers and the 17th edition?

2) What was the ELECSA assessment like when you had it?

3) Is PIR work NOT notifiable then? Effectively you dont have to be on competent person scheme to do them?

Chris

1) Do you know anyone who is with ELECSA who only has the EAL level 2 domestic installers and the 17th edition?

Yes!!!!

2) What was the ELECSA assessment like when you had it?

Easy Peasy when i look back, before hand i was worrying and on the forums making sure i did all correct.. lol

3) Is PIR work NOT notifiable then? Effectively you dont have to be on competent person scheme to do them?

Correct.....! the schemes just want you to pay them £--- so they endorse your paperwork.. :mad:

Blimey thats unreal that to do PIR you dont have to be on Competent Person Scheme.

Dont get me wrong in a way good you dont have to be as I really think just like they harmonised wire colours they should harmonise the entry qualification to be an electrician.

To many different things like types of qualifications to make all the legal side a bit confusing.

And I know a lot of electricians dont like the idea of the EAL Domestic Installers scheme but when your in your 30's most (not all) want to make a quick career change.

Oh how we would have took a different route if we was all 18 again!

The worst thing with the Domestic Installers scheme is that its a lot crammed in and definately lacks the practical side of things.

If anyone knows of an electrician who is looking for an electricians mate then let me know as I really want to get some hands on experience.

Anyway Steve thanks for the info about ELECSA and to be honest I am worried sick of getting a date through and worried about not passing as want it so bad.

Chris

Steve,

Just a quick one.

It didnt state how many types of work ELECSA asess on.

NICEIC is TWO (one major and one minor) and has to be at DIFFERENT properties.

How many is ELECSA? And can it be on your own home or does it have to be a different location?

Chris

YOUR INITIAL ASSESSMENT HAS TO BE A MAJOR JOB

this can be a box change at your own home!! they like to see 2 but 1 will sufice if its your first one!

Hi all,

I am just at the stage of listing my things I can do and cant do etc.

I have my 17th Edition and EAL Level 2 Certificate Domestic Electrical Installers and was wondering if I am allowed to do periodic inspections??

This would only be for land lords and obviously your normal privately owned house owners as I dont undertake any commercial.

I would really appreciate a definitive answer from someone (and if your local will buy you a pint lol).

Chris

Anybody can do pirs,but doing so competently, requires experience of installations and above average knowlege of those installations

Becoming a domestic installer with the extra low entry requirements may give an impression to that person that they are competent to inspect and test existing installations

They would not be able to do so competently until they had extensive experience of installations before hand
They could be done by the inexperienced,but the pir may become contensious in a court of law
If that were the case,and the person carrying out the work had to prove in the one and only place his qualification for doing the test and inspection was questioned,with the possibility of criminal offences being committed, if they couldn't persuade the court they were in fact competent they could be criminalised
The 2391 may help with this proof,along with experience
Tread wearily for a time

Elecsa requirements
EAL and 2m pl insurance a copy of the memorandum of EAW1989, BS7671, OSG, and a MFT.
Once passed assessment you have one year to get 17th edition.

Reply to PIR - Am I allowed to do it??? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock