Discuss Pir - bs 3871 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Jimmyb

Ive just done a pir today and when filling forms out workmate says 'are you not coding no rcd as code 2, i replied no its a code 4, then well what about the mcb's thats code 4 surely, hummm so i said how come well my last boss said that was the case.

This has now got me thinking so id thought id ask you ppl, do bs 3871 warrent a code 4 ????

many thanks

jimmy

Official Stance from Elecsa on RCD for socket outlets!! from Luke @ Elecsa Tech Support

Code 2 and Code 4 are Both Correct coding for the installation, however the Electrician has to make his own judgement on if its unsafe or just not up to date..!!

if you were using equiptment outdoors whats to stop the customer using a RCD plug in device !!???

he did go on to say that code 4 for would be the automatic choice in most situations unless deemed otherwise ONLY by the ONSITE electrician.

I attribute code 2 to absence of RCD protection to socket outlets that may supply equipment outdoors as this was a requirement of the 16th ed also. For other instances a code 4 i.e, cables in walls etc.

BS 3871 might not be recognised in BS 7671-17th ,But so are other things. BS 7671 is mainly concerned with the Domestic side of things.There are still a lot of BS 3871 around, mainly in commercial/industrial installations(we test a lot of em),there's absolutely no reason to code them as!

I attribute code 2 to absence of RCD protection to socket outlets that may supply equipment outdoors as this was a requirement of the 16th ed also. For other instances a code 4 i.e, cables in walls etc.

The difference between the 16th and the 17th regarding socket-outlets for use outside, is that in the 16th, it was anythat may reasonably be expected to be used, whereas with the 17 it's any that are used.

Reply to Pir - bs 3871 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net