Discuss pir code for undersizes water bond in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

sid578

hi .doing a test on a complex where the tails are 25mm ..main bond 16mm ..but the cable bonding main water is only 6mm..think the tails have been upgraded from original but not water bond (not a easy run) .there are 30 flats in complex ..what pir code would i put fo this

what is the earthing? is it TNC-S?

use adiabatic equation to determine the min. reqd. size for main earthing conductor. ( irrespective of the fact that the re is a 16mm there). then the main bonding conductor/s need to be at least 50% of that size.

code C3, if any, IMO.

The reason for the minimum sizes (and why they must be updated before any work is done) is to ensure that fault current can be handed in the event of a fault. It would depend on where the fault was (which circuit/ocpd etc) to actually cause a real issue.

If it isn't potentially dangerous, why would it need to be upgraded before any work was done?

The reason for the minimum sizes (and why they must be updated before any work is done) is to ensure that fault current can be handed in the event of a fault. It would depend on where the fault was (which circuit/ocpd etc) to actually cause a real issue.

If it isn't potentially dangerous, why would it need to be upgraded before any work was done?

Not picking a fight BUT if it was this important why don't those who make the rules, make any attempt to educate the public. More often than not Joe Public thinks that the sparkie is trying it on with unnecessary work.

Joe Public would say his cables on his final ring have 1.5mm earth so what's wrong with his 6mm bonding.

that's 4.62 for the main earthing conductor. you can divide that by 2 for bonding. for pme, though 10mm is specxified, so a C3, IMO. there's no code 4 now.

In comment to telex and top quark i'd split the difference
C3 if undamaged and soundly connected , C2 if heat damaged and badly connected.
This is new diplomatic biff.
;-)

agreed. but if clipped onto pipework with a rusty croc clip, i might go as far as a C1.

Me thinks there has to be a bit flexability here and they realise this so say you go to a 25 yo installation in a flat the DNO fuse is 60A it is a TNS with 6mm to the water and gas and the customer wants a new CU fine but you aint going to rip the flat up to put 10mm in and when I moved into my house there was a bit of stranded 1.5 unsheathed wrapped around the main stop cock so me thinks we need to get real here as I think 10mm is fine for a 100A supply with 25mm tails.

considering that i've had 16mm tails running at 95A for an hour and just managing to reach 40deg.C.

Reply to pir code for undersizes water bond in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock