Discuss PIR code question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

smiffy

I need to ask a question of the forum experts having not been doing pir's for long. A house did today has a hagar board with NO rcd protection, code 4 maybe?
Also only has 16mm tails, tns system not sure what to give this if any.
yours in anticipation
Carl

CODE 1 Requires urgent attention
CODE 2 Requires improvment
Code 3 Requires further investigation
CODE 4 Does not comply to BS7671 2008

I would code 2 it as it does require improvement ,, but its my opinion , i feel that on an inspection things should be broken down to the catorgories ,especially with the ESC's RCD program , if you do have code 4's it should fail the inspection ,but when the change over happened 16th edition installations could be classed a satisfactory with a code 4 as it wouldnt comply with 17th edition as for the tails it does state 25mm is the minimum in the regs cant remember the reg no (apprentice is in college and he's pinched my copy of the regs)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would code 2 the no rcd on skts unless there being used by a skilled person. Also, skts not being rcd protected does not comply with the 16th edition so putting code 4 would suggest they only dont comply with the 17th. And as nick said, tails should be 25mm. But this is only MO and with pir people will have different opinions on codeing.

Jay

But where in the ECS guide does it say code 2 for lack of rcd protection on a TN-S system?
And why would you give an 'unsatisfactory' assessment for a code 4?

Code 4 is for example green sleeving instead of green/yellow etc. hardly an unsatisfactory installation?

But where in the ECS guide does it say code 2 for lack of rcd protection on a TN-S system?
And why would you give an 'unsatisfactory' assessment for a code 4?

Code 4 is for example green sleeving instead of green/yellow etc. hardly an unsatisfactory installation?
sorry my mistake it should be ESC not ECS , the ESC are on a campain for RCD protection , when i said a code 4 should fail you could use the Code 4 for a lighting circuit in a bathroom thats not RCD protected as it does not comply with the regulations if it doesnt ,even a cooker switch with socket outlet above a cooker could all be code 4 , hence my reply by breaking an inspection down into the catagories , i agree when you say green sleeve that would be a code 4 satisfactory ,did that make it clearer

Yes but in the ESC guidance, the points above are all code 4's and would not result in an 'unsatisfactory' assessment-the guide states:-

"It would not be reasonable to indicate a 'satisfactory' assessment if any observation in the report had been given a Code 1 or Code 2 recommendation."

If the sockets could possibly be used supplying equipment outdoors (eg lawnmowers etc) and has no RCD protection then its a code 2.

It's 514.3 but on a periodic inspection report with a 60A DNO fuse, I'd be quite satisfied with 16mm.

514.3 is to with identification of conductors nothing about tail sizes there is nothing i know of in the regs for this.

The only place it is stated is the osg p 17.

i would code 2 the lack of RCD, as imo, that situation requires improvement. put it this way, if joe public got a shock and you had said it was ok but not compliant, who's he going to blame. not the guy that installed it to regs. current at the time. you carry the can so CYA. every time.

Reply to PIR code question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net