Discuss PIR coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Rob

I noticed on an inspection today that all switches I opened to inspect were wired red and black with no red sleeving to identify the black as a live. Seemed to be the same throughout the property although the spark who wired it took the trouble of sleeving at the ceiling roses?!

I appreciate its not crime of the century but still poor practise and needs to be sleeved for an important reason. I would regard this as a code 2 but wondered if because its been done at the ceiling roses and not at any of the switches is this a code 4? Was it once upon a time not a requirement???

Cheers.

Then of course in the schedule of inspection theres the "identification of conductors" box. Does this mean it gets a big fat cross?

Appreciate your guidance.

Thanks.

rob,
i would say code 4 .as for the inspection tick box,well you inspected it .that you found it wrong gets noted on the observations sheet

I noticed on an inspection today that all switches I opened to inspect were wired red and black with no red sleeving to identify the black as a live. Seemed to be the same throughout the property although the spark who wired it took the trouble of sleeving at the ceiling roses?!

I appreciate its not crime of the century but still poor practise and needs to be sleeved for an important reason. I would regard this as a code 2 but wondered if because its been done at the ceiling roses and not at any of the switches is this a code 4? Was it once upon a time not a requirement???

Cheers.

Can depend upon the age of the installation as at one time the was noe requirement to identfy s/w etc.

Thanks for those replies.

I have also noted that there are main equipotential bonding to bothe the gas and water present in 10mm cable, however the connection to the main incoming water pipe isnt within the specified 300mm from the stop cock / intake.

Another code 4?

The house is a two storey terraced property. I understand the scope of a periodic is to inspect and test the condition of the exsisting fixed wiring of the property but I have noticed that there is only one mains operated smoke alarm in the hall downstairs and not one upstairs.
I imagine this is more a building regs issue and although its not really something that would effect the results of a PIR would I be right in assuming that it would be good practise to advise the owner that it would be in his interests to get another smoke alarm installed interlinked with the first, especially as bedrooms are upstairs?

Look forward to your replies...

reg 544.1.2 states that the connection should be made within 6oomm of the stop tap and before any branch pipework.where did you get 300mm from?

Of course, 547-02-02 in the 16th states within 600mm of the service meter or point of entry to building.

Sorry mate, I was discussing yesterday in work the 300mm minimum distance for a socket outlet from a sink in kitchens etc.

Think my brain was still thinking of that. :eek:

As it goes the connection is around 2.5m from the point of entry so is still over permitted.

rob, without looking in the regs i dont think a minimum distance is stated for a socket to sink .......could be wrong

No I am 99% sure it isnt in BS 7671 Wayne. 300mm is the guide given by the NICEIC. Think theres some mention of it in building regulations.

If I remember rightly the requirement for identifying the switched live at the switching point came in at the same time as the requirement for lighting circuits to have a cpc (mid 1960s?). (Before you ask I was not a sparks then!!!).
The single smoke alarm is actually ok as the building regs requirement applies to new builds and newly refurbished dwelling houses.

Last edited by a moderator:
i started work in 1975 and they didnt identify black cores with sleeving then, it happened a few years later if ive remebered correctly, dave

i started work in 1975 and they didnt identify black cores with sleeving then, it happened a few years later if ive remebered correctly, dave

Hi Dave

I reckon your right. Been digging through old notes and first find mention in the 15th Edition but I think it came in as an ammendment just before then. In those days you could use plastic tape.

Tony

The Electrical Safety Council have produced a best practice guide on PIR which might be of some use, it seem they have got the ECA, NICEIC, SELECT agree on a consenus with coding of departures and common fault, you may agree or not, but at least their is some guidance now. Near the end of the document are a list of non faults that are commonly listed.

Best practice guides | Electrical Safety Council

Reply to PIR coding in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock