Discuss Pir coding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

DurhamSparky

any body got a reg to say SWA is not correctly terminated..! got a funny feeling there is no direct REG but im trawling through Selection and Errection chapter with no avail for a reg that i can utilise as a general purpose one!!

if all else fails i will put down not terminated correctly IAW BS7671

I'm searching for one with you mate lol.

Put it this way. With SWA, in the event of a fault to the metal armour and its not connected to earth you ahve a problem therefore it must be earthed.

More info needed on why you think it's not correctly terminated.....there are other ways of terminating that dont require a gland.

lets just say im currently typing up my latest PIR adventure!! :) i sould really just type a letter saying Installation is shoddy and needs replacing ASAP!

trying to x ref all my PIR coding with a reg where relevant!

Out of curiosity, what are the other ways?

There are occasions when glanding an SWA into an accessory or enclosure will look a pigs ear....I have in such instances butted pvc trunking up to said enclosure,and taken the SWA sraight in.The steel wire can be terminated directly into the earth terminal,or...if glanded/earthed at the other end,and not used as a cpc,(ie a conductive part)it can be cut off completely within the enclosure. Obviously this only really applies to small SWA's. Other satisfactory methods of termination may be devised, as long as the steel wire is earthed,or continuity is assured,there is nothing in 7671 to say a standard gland has to be used if not appropriate.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are occasions when glanding an SWA into an accessory or enclosure will look a pigs ear....I have in such instances butted pvc trunking up to said enclosure,and taken the SWA sraight in.The steel wire can be terminated directly into the earth terminal,or...if glanded/earthed at the other end,and not used as a cpc,(ie a conductive part)it can be cut off completely within the enclosure. Obviously this only really applies to small SWA's. Other satisfactory methods of termination may be devised, as long as the steel wire is earthed,or continuity is assured,there is nothing in 7671 to say a standard gland has to be used if not appropriate.

I've never had an occasion where I've not been able to use a gland but it's always useful to know as I'm sure the time will come. I have seen earth clamps used on the armour but was never sure if it was to regs or not as there was continuity.

I've never had an occasion where I've not been able to use a gland but it's always useful to know as I'm sure the time will come. I have seen earth clamps used on the armour but was never sure if it was to regs or not as there was continuity.

You can always use a gland,it's just in some (internal) situations it looks better if you dont...like bringing an SWA into a plastic surface box where the install is generally in plastic trunking....I'd always choose the gland route if I can.

Reply to Pir coding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock