Discuss PIR frequency in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

tank

-
Reaction score
I was looking at my own CCU in my rented flat and there's a NICEIC sticker on it recommending that the next PIR should be done in 12 months time, not in 5 years, presumably the sparks judgement call based on the condition of my flat.

does anyone know how much weight this 12 month recommendation carries or should carry, legally or otherwise with a landlord?

ps. as the last inspection was in 2005 and i'm now studying level 3 2330, i did a PIR myself for practice and it seemed fine but i'm still trying to get my landlord to arrange another PIR.

I'm not sure about Scotland, but in England and Wales there is no law to say that a Landlord must have any testing carried out, but by law he as a care of duty to make sure that all electrical appliances and installations are safe for use

Electrical Safety in Rental Property - England & Wales

That is an excellent read.

A way for the landlord to conform to his statutory duty is for appliances is In-service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment and for the Installation itself EICR.

Also most insurance companies now insist on some form of testing and documentation when issuing a new/renewal of policies, so the landlord in most cases grudgingly gets the tests done.

I'm quite taken back by the existing PIR having a re-test date of 12 months, that is a very short time, and I think in all the testing I have done, the shortest period of a retest for me was 2 yrs, and that was because of the environment and I got several lowish IR readings. Have you had a chance to look at the report? You say you did a practice EICR, what was your results.

domestic recomendations 10years or change of tenancy ( incase tenant has been a DIY expert )
rules may differ if house is let through L.A. but the guide malcom has given may give you a better idea

PIR frequency DSC00100.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

thanks for your reply malcolm and the info link. your amazement at 12 months for a retest sent me back to the sticker. me with my bad eyes, i'm surprised i found my way there. it says 2009 doesn't it? i thought it was 2005 sorry. But i suppose we're still 3 years late ho hum.

( results were - zs on all circuits both measured and calc with R1 + R2 really low, and IR off the scale on all circuits except the lighting which was 505MΩ).

View attachment 10171

thanks for your reply malcolm and the info link. your amazement at 12 months for a retest sent me back to the sticker. me with my bad eyes, i'm surprised i found my way there. it says 2009 doesn't it? i thought it was 2005 sorry. But i suppose we're still 3 years late ho hum.

( results were - zs on all circuits both measured and calc with R1 + R2 really low, and IR off the scale on all circuits except the lighting which was 505MΩ).

Thanks Tank, lol wait till you get to my age son, you'll be lucky to see the sticker let alone read it.

what sticker???

I think this boils down to regular maintenance spark touting for repetitive testing work each year or has he done a 20% test and therefore a test every 12 months @ 20% to satisfy a pir/EICR every 5 years?

As above it should be every ten years or change of occupancy or deteriorated wiring to be tested again within a timescale that the electrician believes to be adequate.

Reply to PIR frequency in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock