Discuss PIR from hell in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

A pedant, or pædant, is a person who is overly concerned with formalism and precision, or who makes a show of learning. The corresponding (obsolete) female noun is pedantess. Someone overly concerned with minutiae and whose tone is perceived as condescending.
i know what he means, you know what he means.

Yes I know what he means

Yes you know what he means

But how about the many people on here who are just starting out and learning????? Should they not be taught properly?

And if he means earthing then say earthing

And if he means bonding then say bonding

And if he means earth bonding then he should not be doing PIR's

I am not being bl**dy pendatic, I am using the correct terminolgy. Many people on here are studying or intending to study for 2391. Terms like 'earth bonding' earns them a big fat 'zero' for the question

So excuse me if I am trying to educate people to do the job properly

I teach this stuff day in and day out, would you rather i 'dummed down' as soon as i log on to the forum?:confused:

The 'minutiae' of this trade is what sets us apart from the cowboys

Which one are you then fella?:mad:

Hello all.

Sorry i have not replied to this thread but i have been flat out for the last week.

When i joined this forum, i thought it was for practicing electricians ( i now know better). I posted the comment "no earth bonding" on the assumption that you would know what i meant. If i confused anyone, my humbly apologies.

A forum where trades can go for help and advise is a fantastic tool that can only help individuals to progress and expand their knowledge base but i do not think condescending comments are useful or necessary. It only causes arguments (see previous posts).Everyone is entitled to their opinion but is their a need to belittle people? i think not.

For your information i have sat the 2391 exam twice as one of my contracts stipulate that i must be up to date and the date of my last exam was to long ago. I have argued that there is no refresher course but to no avail. I also do a lot of work for my local authority and my certificates are checked by a qualified person and i am a full scope member of NAPIT

On a final note, the PIR i was doing. I stopped doing the testing side as i could not guarantee that i would not cause damage to the installation. Several DB's were not secured and i was worried that i would cause damage to the cables and there were a lot of exposed live cabling that would of meant me isolating the entire installation and testing by torch in a crawl space (yes there was a DB in a crawl space under the dinning room floor). There was one hidden behind a screwed on panel in the kitchen that had a junction box with no lid, infront of it with a big bunch of live cabling that was not from the DB that i was testing. Several of the light fitting were hanging by their cables.

When i get some spare time i will post some more pictures.

Thanks for your comments.

Ian

Hello all.

Sorry i have not replied to this thread but i have been flat out for the last week.

When i joined this forum, i thought it was for practicing electricians ( i now know better). I posted the comment "no earth bonding" on the assumption that you would know what i meant. If i confused anyone, my humbly apologies.

A forum where trades can go for help and advise is a fantastic tool that can only help individuals to progress and expand their knowledge base but i do not think condescending comments are useful or necessary. It only causes arguments (see previous posts).Everyone is entitled to their opinion but is their a need to belittle people? i think not.

For your information i have sat the 2391 exam twice as one of my contracts stipulate that i must be up to date and the date of my last exam was to long ago. I have argued that there is no refresher course but to no avail. I also do a lot of work for my local authority and my certificates are checked by a qualified person and i am a full scope member of NAPIT

On a final note, the PIR i was doing. I stopped doing the testing side as i could not guarantee that i would not cause damage to the installation. Several DB's were not secured and i was worried that i would cause damage to the cables and there were a lot of exposed live cabling that would of meant me isolating the entire installation and testing by torch in a crawl space (yes there was a DB in a crawl space under the dinning room floor). There was one hidden behind a screwed on panel in the kitchen that had a junction box with no lid, infront of it with a big bunch of live cabling that was not from the DB that i was testing. Several of the light fitting were hanging by their cables.

When i get some spare time i will post some more pictures.

Thanks for your comments.

Ian

Ian, the forum is not for 'practising electricians' it is for everyone, including the many on here who want to (and are) learning

I have explained my reasons for being so 'precise' on terminolgy, I feel no reason to do so again.

If you took my tone to be condescending, then I aplogize, it was meant to be lighthearted, which is why there was a laughing face at the end

The previuos reply was to someone who was accusing me of being pedantic, it was not aimed at you.:)

As a side issue, you have broken C&G rules by sitting your 2391 twice, they specifically do not allow you to take an exam of the same level and type that you have allready passed

Thanks Shakey, no problem. I just hate to see threads descending into slanging match.

As for the testing, i am going to have to check on this as my local college told me it was OK, but that was 2 years ago and i am going to have to resit 2377 in a few months. I even have to do a food hygiene course in 4 weeks for a contract in a large hotel chain i have just won but customer is allways right and they have insisted on it:mad:

Thanks Shakey, no problem. I just hate to see threads descending into slanging match.

As for the testing, i am going to have to check on this as my local college told me it was OK, but that was 2 years ago and i am going to have to resit 2377 in a few months. I even have to do a food hygiene course in 4 weeks for a contract in a large hotel chain i have just won but customer is allways right and they have insisted on it:mad:

Ian, the rules apply accross all of C&G electrical qualifications, if you tried to rebook any using your exisiting C&G registration number, (its on you certificate) the system should block you

so resitting either of the 2377 exams is out as well

I can quote you the refernce if you need to show it to anybody:)

I have been an electrical instructor. In the classroom I would be pedantic and insist on correct terminology.
In the context of a forum of peers, if I felt that the use of incorrect terminology may impede others I may POLITELY point this out if it would help the poster or others reading it. I would not question if the person is up to the job or question his qualifications.

It is just good manners

So get off your high horse and milk it:D

I have been an electrical instructor. In the classroom I would be pedantic and insist on correct terminology.
In the context of a forum of peers, if I felt that the use of incorrect terminology may impede others I may POLITELY point this out if it would help the poster or others reading it. I would not question if the person is up to the job or question his qualifications.

It is just good manners

So get off your high horse and milk it:D

oh for christs sake

i was having a laugh

I did not question his abilities, i am simply stated something factual, that i would reject any PIR presented to me that had meaningless terms on such as 'earth bonding', if he ( or anyone else) used that term on official documentation then I would question their abilities

However, i do not know that this chap has used this on documentation, and I suspect, from his experience and abilities that he has demonstrated, that he hasnt

oh and by the way, the kind of reply you use is up to you

the kind i use is up to me

and thats what makes this forum so interesting, 'cause we are all different, and some of us are vociferous (like me), some are downright argumentative (like Rumrunner) and some are just ruddy good fun (like Mr Bane)

but we all make it work:)

oh for christs sake

i was having a laugh

I did not question his abilities, i am simply stated something factual, that i would reject any PIR presented to me that had meaningless terms on such as 'earth bonding', if he ( or anyone else) used that term on official documentation then I would question their abilities

However, i do not know that this chap has used this on documentation, and I suspect, from his experience and abilities that he has demonstrated, that he hasnt

oh and by the way, the kind of reply you use is up to you

the kind i use is up to me

and thats what makes this forum so interesting, 'cause we are all different, and some of us are vociferous (like me), some are downright argumentative (like Rumrunner) and some are just ruddy good fun (like Mr Bane)

but we all make it work:)
:)sorry to but in but what does VOCIFEROUS mean,:eek:

:)sorry to but in but what does VOCIFEROUS mean,:eek:

it means, and I quote direct from the dictionary:-

"a style of response typically uttered by a short, bespectacled overweight Welshman when someone says " earth bonding" or suggests aforementioned Welshman is not a proper electrician"

thats what 'vociferous' means

go on, look it up:D

by the way everyone, i went to the 'other side' the other day - lets just say its a forum on the same site as the people who write and publish the regs, where many of the people put their post-nominal letters after their name when replying, and talk in formulas

Anyway, one of the senior members there threatned to report one of the others to 'admin' because he had used the letters FFS when posting a reply.

Not said the words mind, just used the letters !!!!!!!!

i mean, for F**K sake:p

i am really glad this forum is what it is!!!:):D:p

cheers lads

Shakey, LCGI

Reply to PIR from hell in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net