Discuss PIR... GU10 Downlights in suspended ceiling?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TPES

On A PIR today on some offices that have been cleared out and the building ready to sell..

There is a suspended ceiling across the whole of the ground floor and up the stairs, In the ceiling tiles there are many GU10 downlights that are Fire rated.. around the fitting on the tiles it has gone slightly brown where the lamp has got hot..

Also the circuit is wired in 1.0mm T&E and there is 17 fittings on a B10 amp MCB.

What recommendations or code would you put on this..?

hmmm for the 1mm cable whats wrong with that ??

as for the lights scorching the tiles its probably just bad selection of equiptment etc... how many times you taked a batten holder to find the plastics totally goosed due to heat!!
possibly a 3 for the scorching unless there were signs of obvious fire risks!!

17x 50 watt ?
850 watt
Refeence method 101 = 10.5 amp The worst case is surrounded with insulation in a stud wall at 8 amp
so it seems current carrying capacity of the cable is dependant on the reference method you have for the circuit and also length of circuit for volt drop

I suspect the tiles have a fire rating and are unlikely to burst into flame,but transfering the downlighter heat to the point of evidence of marking of the tiles needs caution

If the volt drop is ok I dont see a coding being required,but perhaps a recomendation that a metal plate or such, be used to minimise the heat transfered to the tiles

So maybe just a note to say i recommend that low energy lamps be fitted to reduce the amount of heat caused by the GU10 lamp further reducing fire risks?

cant see you need to rec energy lamps, most likely rec 35 wat lamps instead of 5o w which is probably what they should be anyway

Reply to PIR... GU10 Downlights in suspended ceiling?? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net