Discuss PIR Help please? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TPES

Hello all

On my assesment the assosor told me where i stood regarding PIR's, He said we prefer you to have your 2391 (which is booked and coming up soon), But he did say we cant stop you doing periodics, and by all means give it ago.
So i have been sent a PIR Pad, I have been praticing writing out periodics on printed forms before i use my pad.

Today i was asked if i could do a PIR for someone on a rented part of a building. He has been asked by his insurance to get a PIR done for there records.
Would he only need a PIR for the part of the building he rents for his business. he said there only about 4 or 5 sockets and a couple of lights in the room he rents, Thats it. So is this all the PIR would be based on? What about the circuits feeding the rest of the rented rooms in the building (obviously nothing to do with him) but his lighting circuit for example might feed other parts of the building ??

As my assessor has said to me "by all means give them ago" and states they recomend i have around 2 years worth of PIR's before they approve me, is this a good PIR for me to start with, As its a very small area, (1 room)

You will obviously need to get access to the main distribution for the property, as for the scope of the test you can put down limitations of which you must agree with the client.
You should however consider other occupants and wether the testing will affect them, it is possible (and likely) that the circuits may be shared if it is simply 'a room' that he rents.
It would probably be ideal to ask if access can be granted to the other areas, mainly to ensure saftey whilst carrying out a periodic test, and secondly to gain a better understanding on the existing installation.

Simply put, you can use agreed limitations to test as much or as little of the installation.
But it isn't safe practice to carry out testing on circuits that you cannot oversee/access.

Make sure your professional indemnity insurance is up to date.

Is my current 2 million Not enough then?
How long is a periodic valid for, meaning if there was a fire in a building you did a PIR on say 6 years down the line, can they come back to you and say... "well you said it was safe, so your responsible" ??

<<On my assesment the assosor told me where i stood regarding PIR's, He said we prefer you to have your 2391 (which is booked and coming up soon), But he did say we cant stop you doing periodics, and by all means give it ago.>>

Wow....who are you with. Surely not NICEIC then?

There is a completley different type of insurance for PIR's. You should gain this before carrying out any work.
It's insurance against your advice and report. Should something go wrong, or you not identify an obvious code 1 and someone gets hurt then it's your name on the report and your bum in court.

Wow....who are you with. Surely not NICEIC then?

Obviously... he didn't say..

'They told me to buy this, this, this & this' ;)

Last edited:
PIR On a public building, Like this karate club.. Am i right in saying it NEEDS to have emergency lighting installed to meet the requirments of BS7671, Would this just be a code 4 on a PIR..?? Or is it compulsory?

What else is needed on a Club like this?

PIR On a public building, Like this karate club.. Am i right in saying it NEEDS to have emergency lighting installed to meet the requirments of BS7671, Would this just be a code 4 on a PIR..?? Or is it compulsory?

What else is needed on a Club like this?

Not having emergency lighting or fire alarm is worthy of a note on a PIR but does not require a recomendation code as they are not requirements of BS 7671

I will give you a link to the Electrical Safety Councils best practice guides. BPG4 relates to PIR's plenty of useful information.
Best Practice Guides | Electrical Safety Council

Reply to PIR Help please? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock