Discuss PIR in factories in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

John

Is it necessary to have a firm come in and carry out a PIR in a factory that has a maintenance team.

If maintenance is responsible for the buildings and machinery, and has the necessary C&G qualifications, is a PIR and the documents that go with it needed.

No under regulation 622.2 if your installation is under an effective management system for preventive maintenance a EICR can be replaced by adequate continuous monitoring and maintenance.

The people doing the above though must be recognized as skilled people competent in doing this regime and appropriate records must be kept

What form of inspection, testing and records would be required to do this in house?

A Maintenance record.

For instance making sure you test IR, Zs etc on a routine basis. Sampling of the installation. Basically similar to an EICR but done over a period of time, rather than in one hit.

You can develop your own test sheets, and there are software out on the market that will help you do this

Thank you Malcolm for the information.

I think there is an amendment to BS7671:2008 regarding PIR and EICR reporting. This I will have to check up on.

A PIR does not have to be conducted by an outside organisation, it can be conducted by the in house maintenance team.
There is some merit to using an outsider, as a fresh set of eyes and a different viewpoint is often vey useful.

A PIR does not have to be conducted by an outside organisation, it can be conducted by the in house maintenance team.
There is some merit to using an outsider, as a fresh set of eyes and a different viewpoint is often vey useful.

Agreed and there is also merit to having a full 'external' PIR completed and identified defects rectified as a 'line in the sand' prior to commencing an in-house maintenance/testing program.

a couple of our clients have their own teams and get us to do PIRs as the inhouse guys dont have the qualifications ect and there is the "fresh eyes" "outsider" thoughts Its good to have maintenence guys on site who know the place tho as " socket in Jimmys Office" wont mean a thing to anyone as Jimmy left 15 yrs ago and noone can remember where his office was

All above replies are correct, however most factory inspections are normally a requirement made by their insurance company who are not governed by 7671 like we are and may ask for a dedicated report on the installation if it is part of the conditions of the insurance, so this needs to be clarified with the insurer if it will be accepted.

We maintenance electricians are normally far too busy with Preventative maintenance, machine breakdowns and real electrical work with motors, P.L.C’s and servo’s ECT to be doing PIR’s!!! No I’m kidding honesty. I’m a time served maintenance spark and have only got involved with inspection and testing on and off over the last 9-12 months with company who have been on site at the brewery where I work to test and document all the whole site. Now that I’ve just passed my 2391 (Dec2011 exam first time and already got 17[SUP]th[/SUP] edition) my chief engineer wants me to carry on an in-house maintenance/testing program thus saving them money!

sounds like you've shot yourself in the foot macca, goodbye real work!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

on the plus side, you can leave stressed out production supervisors behind and "disappear" into the roof voids, i mean work in the roof voids.:icon12:

Reply to PIR in factories in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock