Discuss PIR light wiring how to reconfigure switching in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

biomedeng

DIY
Reaction score
I wonder if any helpful electrician could throw some 'light' on this question I have regarding changing the switching configuration of my current external lighting setup?
I currently have two external PIR sensor halogen flood lights (150w) that are controlled from a 4 gang light switch in the kitchen, the switch comprises from left to right 'kitchen worktop lights, external side light, external rear light and kitchen ceiling lights'.
The circuit was installed when I had an extension to the house added and the kitchen was extended and at the same time we had external lighting installed and the electrician installed both external lights to be permanently active on PIR when the switch is in the 'off' position and permanently illuminated when the switch is in the 'on' position.
I want to replace both external lights because they have both become faulty with PIR doing its own thing when it feels like it so I want to replace with an LED PIR which has 3 terminals 'Live-Neutral and Earth' (easy for me to understand)
The lights that I want to remove have four terminals with sleeved wires which to my limited electrical experience are 'switching live' please correct me if I am wrong, my experience is medical electronics and not so much domestic electrical.
I would like both new external lights to be wired so that when the switches are in the 'off' position the lights are permanently off and when the switches are in the 'on position the lights are on with PIR control.
I hope I explained it in a clear way.

Attachments

• IMG_20211204_094800922.jpg
    373.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211204_094806860.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20211202_091958022.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20211202_091951780.jpg
    357.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20211204_094811881.jpg
    382 KB · Views: 3
Ooooh. Brown spaghetti!

A local electrician should be able to sort that. It would take us some typing to explain what’s needed.
If you post your rough location, there’s maybe a forum member local to you

Basically, the live wire that feeds each light is on a permanent live at the switch, and another switched live goes to the connection between the pir and the light at the fitting.
Closing the switch bypasses the pir altogether.

What you need is the permanent feed to the pir moved to the switch side, and the additional switched live disconnected at both ends…

That way the pir is only fed when the switch is closed.

Reply to PIR light wiring how to reconfigure switching in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net