Discuss PIR or EIC in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

Electricalexcel

Because I made alteration on several circuit Iv'e now issued a EIC, the landlord who rents property to council tenants is concerned that they have not got a PIR to produce to council, although EIC covers all circuit and installation. Thanks

This problem comes up again and again.

Any work that requires an EIC should have one.

If a PIR is required for the council then do and issue one.

At least you have some of the test results you can transfer across from the EIC.

Hey.

You tested all the work that you had carried out so your fine.

If the landlord wants a pir then tell him no problem and charge him.

job done.

This problem comes up again and again.

Any work that requires an EIC should have one.

If a PIR is required for the council then do and issue one.

At least you have some of the test results you can transfer across from the EIC.
Thanks for your time.
But don't the EIC cover everything that a PIR would plus more.

Thanks for your time.
But don't the EIC cover everything that a PIR would plus more.

Sorry didnt really make that very clear.

If you have an EIC with full set of test results then all you need do is to fill out a PIR and give them that.

If you have installed a new CU then a full EIC will be required anyway.

If you have installed new circuits or done any major changes that required an EIC for those circuits, then those results can be transferred over to your PIR.

You will then need to test and inspect the rest of the install.

If the council request a PIR then you need to give them one.

All an EIC does is confirm that you have done work in accordance with BS7671.

A PIR is a report on the condition of the installation. Two different things.

Hope thats clear(er)!

Last edited by a moderator:
No not really,

If anything a PIR covers more than an EIC as you are not just testing the work you have done you are inspecting and testing all wireing and accessories throughout.

In your first post you said that you had altered several circuits, did you mean every circuit in the db?

If not then I'm guessing you wont have tested all circuits, nor would you have inspected accessories to check for correct terminations, presence of earth and indicator sleeving, broken fittings correct cable size etc etc the list goes on.

As previously mentioned at least now you already have some test readings that you can transfer from your EIC to your PIR.

Regards.

Sorry didnt really make that very clear.

If you have an EIC with full set of test results then all you need do is to fill out a PIR and give them that.

If you have installed a new CU then a full EIC will be required anyway.

If you have installed new circuits or done any major changes that required an EIC for those circuits, then those results can be transferred over to your PIR.

You will then need to test and inspect the rest of the install.

If the council request a PIR then you need to give them one.

All an EIC does is confirm that you have done work in accordance with BS7671.

A PIR is a report on the condition of the installation. Two different things.

Hope thats clear(er)!
Thanks for your help.

No not really,

If anything a PIR covers more than an EIC as you are not just testing the work you have done you are inspecting and testing all wireing and accessories throughout.
Regards.

A PIR is a report on the condition of an installation and does not cover more than an EIC as it would be impossible to confirm all cable routes, zones etc have been adhered to, and this note is printed on the form.

An EIC confirms (or should,), that any work on the installation, has been done according to BS7671.

The installation certificate would be notified to BC through NIC or whoever, and the computer at the council would spew out relevant paperwork to send to the homeowner to show compliance, whereas a PIR is given to the person who requested it, albeit in this case would be the council!

Thats how i see anyway.

I'm sorry mate but I disagree.

An EIC only covers the work you have just done so already you should know that it complies.

With a PIR you have no idea what your going to find so a far more thorough inspection is needed. Do you check that you've sleeved everything when testing a job you have just finished? My guess is no.

I'm aware of the limitations on insp and test but even without those a PIR is still more detailed than EIC only because it has to be as it's not your work you are testing

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry mate but I disagree.

An EIC only covers the work you have just done so already you should know that it complies.

With a PIR you have no idea what your going to find so a far more thorough inspection is needed. Do you check that you've sleeved everything when testing a job you have just finished? My guess is no.

Also I'm fully aware of the limitations on inspection and testing and where they appear on the form

Regards.

Thats what im saying (i think) is that i agree about the EIC and what that covers.

A PIR DOES NOT confirm cable routing and zones are compliant.

I dont check everything has been sleeved properly as i know its been done.

If you are aware of the limitations on inspection and testing and the forms then im not sure i understand why you insist that a PIR over rules an EIC?

Thats why most LABC's will not accept a PIR for installation work that is notifiable.

Hey mate.

I've just edited my last post to try and get my point across a bit better.

I'm not saying that a PIR overules an EIC only that it's more detailed as you have to inspect as much as you can on the whole installation not just on the work you have done is all.

Apologies

Ben.

Hey mate.

I've just edited my last post to try and get my point across a bit better.

I'm not saying that a PIR overules an EIC only that it's more detailed as you have to inspect as much as you can on the whole installation not just on the work you have done is all.

Apologies

Ben.

No prob.

Totally agree.:cool:

Reply to PIR or EIC in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock