Discuss PIR question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

SSE

-
Reaction score
First of all I'm not even sure if this needs to be marked down or not! I'm about to do a PIR on a friends property and whilst checking out another bit of work needing done I noticed that the main water service has just been bonded with a 10mm earth linked off the gas pipe and linked between all the other pipes beside it. The part of the gas pipe that it's linked to is probably about 6 metres away from the main gas incomer. I always thought for gas and water to be earthed together it had to be on one continuous earth cable? So does this need to be marked down and if so what code?

Code 4 id say.. Its not to the regs but it is bonded so its hardly dangerous(some will say different)...
I rang the tech line the other day and they basicly say its down to you, and what you deem it to be..

Should be at least continous,code 4 for me,at least it is bonded,not within 600mm of the meter but than again sometimes that is not always possible,i would just put down for remedial works that in my opinion it would benefit being brought upto current standards,if the client says no,and something happens,you have it in black and white and they did not listen to your opinion,its not trying to scaremonger its doing things by the book,you have covered your own back.

Not aware that there is a requirement in BS7671 for the cable to be continuous.
I believe that such is more an NICEIC or LABC requirement.

BS 7430 recommends an uncut conductor & GN8 also has guidance on using a single conductor.

BS 7430 recommends an uncut conductor & GN8 also has guidance on using a single conductor.

Thanks. I know that if I was ever to do it this way ie using one cable I would make sure it was uncut/continuous but was just wonderin' what mark it would go down in on the PIR as it has obviously been done a while back and not in accordance with the new regulations.

Right I've done the PIR and am still in two minds, I don't know if I should mark it as a 4 or a 2. Part of me thinks I should just mark it as a 2 to cover myself! Anyway I spoke to one of my mates today who is also an electrician. The company he works for are NICEIC registered and the NICEIC guy who comes round and checks up on him says if you ever came across this situation and for any reason coudn't get an earth cable back to the consumer unit but could get one to the gas incomer from the earthing point for the water where the 10mm for this is and take a 16mm crip and crimp them together this would cover you?

SSE are you saying there is a main protective bonding conductor going from the MET to a clamp on the gas pipe next to the meter and then another bonding conductor going from a point 6M along the gas pipe to the incoming water pipe?
If so there are two issues; 1, the fact that the main bonding conductor is not continuous so that the removal of one bond to an extraneous conductive part (gas) could cause another connection to an extraneous conductive part (water) to be open/disconnected 528.3.3 There is no regulation in BS7671 that specifically requires the bonding conductor to be void of any permanent joints, ie soldered, brazed or crimped joints deemed to be permanent. So the guy who said crimping the two bonding conductors at the midpoint of the main bonding conductor sounds OK to me.
Point 2 is only if the two BS951 bonding clamps are 6M apart on the gas pipe. 543.2.1 a gas pipe shall not be selected as a protective (bonding) conductor

SSE are you saying there is a main protective bonding conductor going from the MET to a clamp on the gas pipe next to the meter and then another bonding conductor going from a point 6M along the gas pipe to the incoming water pipe?
If so there are two issues; 1, the fact that the main bonding conductor is not continuous so that the removal of one bond to an extraneous conductive part (gas) could cause another connection to an extraneous conductive part (water) to be open/disconnected 528.3.3 There is no regulation in BS7671 that specifically requires the bonding conductor to be void of any permanent joints, ie soldered, brazed or crimped joints deemed to be permanent. So the guy who said crimping the two bonding conductors at the midpoint of the main bonding conductor sounds OK to me.
Point 2 is only if the two BS951 bonding clamps are 6M apart on the gas pipe. 543.2.1 a gas pipe shall not be selected as a protective (bonding) conductor

Coming from the consumer unit to the gas meter, main point of entry there is a 10mm earth run to it that is clamped onto the gas pipe. From this gas meter the pipe which the earth is clamped on, runs about 6m to the back of the house where the boiler is and the main incoming water service. Then there is a 10mm earth that is clamped from the gas pipe to the water to each of the other pipes beside it.

but then look at 543.2.2 (viii). and 543.2.6

Reply to PIR question in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock