Discuss PIR - retest frequency?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

Went to see a job today, the houses are let to students and the owner believes he can do a PIR every 5 years. Given that the "average" student stays about 6 months and there are 4 students per house I said that a retest should be considered yearly. A quick look around told me everything about how "untidy" students live these days!

Apparently the previous sparky was charging £50.00 per (3 bed semi with 5 or 6 circuits) - all cash in hand no invoices etc etc!

What are your thoughts?

In the event I turned the work down as I felt it could be a lot of hassle than it would be worth.

The frequency of PIR for rented accomodation is every 5 years or change of tennancy.

Other arrangments can be made but it all depends on age, existing condition, and how well he adheres to the MHMO regs.

As for the price........:6:

The frequency of PIR for rented accomodation is every 5 years or change of tennancy.

Other arrangments can be made but it all depends on age, existing condition, and how well he adheres to the MHMO regs.

As for the price........:6:

Change of tenency - so annually then!

After the one ive just done will the whole installation earth reling on a 0.75mm earth from the heating boiler and the amount of damaged sockets and back boxes it was rewired (badly) last year but still the amount of damage as the guys have said change of tenant but realy its rented out and as landlords have a duty of care to the tenant then the install should be tested every year

The ESC guidance would suggest a PIR every 2 yrs max, with a visual in between.

At £50, that's not a PIR!

I wouldn't touch it for that money, I can put up a couple of lights for the same.

Agree PC i thinkl we need to get rid of these 5 minuit PIR's took me 2 days to do a 3 story house it was bad mind !!! one PIR = 1 day min depends on how many circuits though and the condition and age

The ESC guidance would suggest a PIR every 2 yrs max, with a visual in between.

At £50, that's not a PIR!

I wouldn't touch it for that money, I can put up a couple of lights for the same.

Agree 100% I actually said that a £50.00 PIR isn't worth the paper its written on. I wouldn't have done it for less that £150.00

As good as the ESC guidance docs are, the big ommission on the PIR one is the lack of real guidance on retest frequency for different situations and also the lack of guidance on the content of what constitutes a PIR (eg % inspection), again for different situations.

If anyone here is going to one of the ELEXs, perhaps we should all harangue the ESC rep about this. You never know, they might get the message.

Realistically i should depend on the inspector we see the guidance ever 10 years for a domestic installation , if i have an install thats 40 years old then there is no way i would say another 10 years i will reduce that time to 5 years due to the age you can get an install thats old but in good condition and another thats not in good condition , it also depends how the installation is being used little old dear that boiles her kettle once a day or a family of 6 playing foot ball round the house its adifficult one and realy down to the assesor

Agreed the assessor has the final say, but that doesn't mean there can't be some guidance on typical situations as a starter for ten. It would at least set the benchmark and stop cheapskates doing 10% in a student house and putting down 10yrs!!!

Agreed the assessor has the final say, but that doesn't mean there can't be some guidance on typical situations as a starter for ten. It would at least set the benchmark and stop cheapskates doing 10% in a student house and putting down 10yrs!!!

Totally agree 10% visual thats all not worth filling the paper work out for

£50 is a visual inspection with maybe a Ze and a couple of random Zs readings, TOPS. maybe acceptable as an interim report with full PIR done every 5 years (or, depending on the installation , more or less). anyone who says he can do a full PIR for £50 is either a liar or a cheapskate.

think all equipment fitted should be IP68 anyway, as with students, the place needs steam cleaning evey 12 months

You might want to check the if the local authority to see if they have any guidelines in place.

You see some Student accommodation falls under the Radar for the application of a HMO regs (house in multiple occupancy) see here for the criteria HMo_Org.uk - HMO licensing But I've also seen this definition Home Page of Cardiff Council

If you are a Landlord of student accommodation depending on the Local Authority and their application of the definitions above will determine if its an annual check or not.

Assuming you got full access in the house its only 5 or 6 circuits, I would expect to be out that house in 90 minutes, 2 hours maximum and then spend 30 minutes at the end of the day writing up the cert neatly away from a greasy house.
Thats doing a true Ze, Rings, R1 & R2 on every socket and circuit, Insulation test on every circuit, all Zs including every socket as you should, RCD test if fitted. Have a look in the roof too.

Reply to PIR - retest frequency?? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net