Discuss pir`s to be done away with in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phil

the pir will be replaced next year with a, electrical installation condition report.
codes one, two, three, and four will be replaced with just three catagories

at the elex show mate straight from the mouths of the niceic, napit, elecsa, and the iet. had a short seminar on it today. should be ava for a public draft in june this year and coming in to affect in june 2011. fifty pages of the regs are due for an update at the same time. a load of stuff in there for surge protection and other bits

this PIR thing was mentioned to me by my assesor last August, he seemed to think there was going to be some kind of rating of inspection so that the customer knows exactly what they were paying for.

dont be buying too many pir certs or spending too much on software. dont forget to recycle them if oyu have a boat load in next june

a boat load of new books ava to buy. software, training courses, seminars at £15 a piece, some good revinue there to be made off the backs of working sparks yet again. plus all the 2330 and nvq chages the printers are going to be busy for some time to come

I would love to be a fly on the wall when the big 4 get together in conclave to decide the next best way to screw around with working stiffs like me. I mean how many lifes or properties are safer with RCD;s strung up like fairy lights in the so called 17th ed cu's. Is it really gonna stop plumbers and joiners banging nails ans screws into cables,, end of rant !
Mac

How will this affect domestic nic installers who at present cant issue nic pir's without doing the nic course,,
And the nic just launced their online pir course. they must of known this when they launched this

reasons given are, they want it to be better understood by the customer. the reason code four is being done away with is "does not comply with current regulations" does not make sense to the customer and is not clear. they said we will have our chance to object to it when the draft goes out, but lets face it it will happen regardless although good points raised may to taken on board. I want to see what the amendments are for the surge protection in a domestic situation and how it will affect the consumer unit changes. NIC reckon it will only add £100 plus our labour to the cost. :eek: sure that will go down well with the customer it`s like talking to a piece of wood sometimes trying to explain the need for and rcd and what it does.

Ah, so surge protection now then.

It's all very well adding safety features but it's getting really difficult to convince customers that we're not just ripping people off nowadays. £100 doesn't sound much until the next guy gets the job 'cos he's cheaper.

What's coming up in 2011 and 2012 then? Lightening protection for all homes, RCBOs on all circuits, mandatory solar panels, dropping of 10 year domestic checks? Let's start a book on it!

I'm going into dentistry sick of forking out for books, courses, fees etc. Spent 12 minutes in the chair last week and paid £35 for the priviledge, thats about £200 per hour. Only need a dremel and a few chisels, some good pliers and molegrips. cant be that hard pulling teeth out can it? And its clean and your sat down all day as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
what about a bit of keyhole surgery?? im used to cutting small holes in walls and feeding a rod down in the off chance i can get the coords right and have it end up where i want it to grab a cable of appear at another hole!!

got rods :D
got hole saw :D
got patience :D
got filler :D

if all else fails i got big knife to chop open and retrieve said rod move said cable then bodge said hole(s) or gaping wound in wall...!!!

sounds just like a NHS Surgeon.... apart from they leave there lost tools in the patient!!
:D:D:D:D:D

Exactly what do they mean by surge protection and where will it go,in each circuit, at the origin of supply, after the main protection device, and if surge is expected to be a problem then is that not the suppliers problem should they not fit a magic doowhizz to the tranny down the steet, ! seriously though where will it end
Mac

Last edited by a moderator:
just uploaded the wiring matters journal it`s got a bit in there on the surge protection

Attachments

• 2009_32_autumn_wiring_matters_future_of_7671_and_surge_protection_spds.pdf
    334.8 KB · Views: 40

Reply to pir`s to be done away with in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net