Discuss Pir sensors blowing bulbs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I do work for this big house what's been turned into apartments all the communal lights are on pir sensors For some reason I end up changing the lamps on the lights every couple of months the lamps aren't the cheapest you can get so I have sort of ruled that outI was also thinking is it because there on and off all the time causing this or maybe something else causing it Any help appreciated

Last edited:
If they are the 2d style bulkhead lights then they do not like to be repeatedly switched and will result in shorter lamp life. LED versions are now available that can handle the frequent switching but will cost a fair bit. You will have to weigh up the long term running/replacement lamp costs to see if it is worth it. In the meantime try extending the length of time the lights are on once activated. I would go for around 5 minutes.

lockhes.
You say the lamps are not cheap and are bayonet cap. I assume they have CFL lamps (retro?) fitted. I have found that most CFL lamps don't like some triac controlled PIR units. If they are GLS lamps, one of the residents may be replacing their blown lamps for the new ones you just fitted.

I have found that most CFL lamps don't like some triac controlled PIR units.
The same is true vice versa, a lot of solid state switching devices don't like the high input resistance presented by CFL lamps, it can cause them to short-cycle on and off which destroys the lamp very quickly.

Reply to Pir sensors blowing bulbs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Can I use multiple GU10 led lamps with their own PIR sensors in the same room? I have a row of existing lamps 600mm apart in a straight line & I...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I have an outside light that is turned on with a switch from inside and would like to change it to a PIR version incorporating an...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I need a bit of advice. My client is asking for a rather silly lighting setup in his bathroom and I am struggling to understand...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm an I.T.. engineer with some outdated electrical experience. I qualified C&G 2330 17th edition about 15 years ago, but my only experience...
Replies
Views
Driven by the recent colossal hikes in the cost of electricity I hit upon the wizard wheeze of replacing some of the existing LED bulbs in our own...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock