Discuss PIR vs EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

somersetsparks

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just wondered what evryones thoughts were on the EICR coding system now that we have had it for a while.

To get the ball rolling, I initially whinged about it, however I have now decided its an improvement. in that:

- You will no longer see the same list of Code 2's when returning a couple years later
- Its less ambiguous, sometimes I used to be a bit indecisive aon whether certain code 2's should fail or not.
- The C1 bracket is better, as in it only includes dangerous faults (not 'no ring continuity')

Bad bits:
- That girt 'tick sheet' on the NIC paperwork, although the paperwork I use is much simplified.

Discuss!

just the loss of a few more trees in the rain forests. 9 bloody pages!.

I tend to agree with you. And teaching it is a bit easier as well, because i have photo's of defects that need to be identified, and then coded as required.
I also like the re wording in GN3. It now mentions that a C3 coding should be given for non conformances to current regs, but that this does not necessarily mean that the installation is dangerous, or words to that effect. Hopefully this will stop the cowboys and doom merchants from ripping off the general public, telling them they need a rewire and so on, when they dont. It should also clear up a few grey areas for those who are less experienced in the test and inspection game.

Cheers.............Howard

I tend to agree with you. And teaching it is a bit easier as well, because i have photo's of defects that need to be identified, and then coded as required.
I also like the re wording in GN3. It now mentions that a C3 coding should be given for non conformances to current regs, but that this does not necessarily mean that the installation is dangerous, or words to that effect. Hopefully this will stop the cowboys and doom merchants from ripping off the general public, telling them they need a rewire and so on, when they dont. It should also clear up a few grey areas for those who are less experienced in the test and inspection game.

One issue that I still don't understand is the C2 of supplementary bonding to cpc's in bathrooms, As far as I was aware the bonding of Cpc's (except class 1 equipment) came in as ammendment to the 16th in 2001. It irritates me to C2 when there is an enclosed IP rated light fitting as the circuit has no supllementary and no rcd. However this may be due to my lack of understanding.

I do think the 'regs are not retrospective argvument' needs to be cleared up, as obviously looking at the coding, some are, I always go on its safe for continued service but a lot of sparks I work with quote 'regs cannot be applied retrospectively' all the time

The new 3 code system is alot clearer and a big improvement.
The new multi page tick boxes are a complete chore lol.
The IET should have condensed it to a shorter format rather than lengthened it.
No point increasing the report to a least 7+ pages when the customer only looks at the pass / fail on the first page.

I also like the re wording in GN3. It now mentions that a C3 coding should be given for non conformances to current regs, but that this does not necessarily mean that the installation is dangerous, or words to that effect.

Akin to the old PIR C4 then, would you agree???

Howard, You're expecting miracles mate, a Cowboy who has heard of GN3 let alone read it.

Reply to PIR vs EICR in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock