Discuss PIR wiring into override mode in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

spender1786

Hello All

First is my first post, so be gentle on me. I have an existing light fitting. Id like to add a PIR sensor. Id also like the override function too. The PIR sensor I have found doesn't have "internal manual override function" But it dose have 3 cables coming out of it. Blue, Red Brown. I have posted the url below. Please if you could have a look and give me any advice that would be great.

Velleman 240V Mini PIR Motion Detector PIR415

Thank you
Nick

Hi welcome to the forum, I will approve post for main forum spender so to aid a quick response although to be noted that once Admin' is online you will be given access to the DIY section and thread relocated, this will not effect any of the posts made.

Re' Darkwood.

You just need to put you override switch in parallel with the switch wire and the permanent live

I see what you meen i not sure which cable is the live and which one is the neutral do you have the info as to what x y and z are ? I would say blue is neutal amd the other 2 are perment live and switched live but the wiring diagram seams to show it differently

Last edited:
I see what you meen i not sure which cable is the live and which one is the neutral do you have the info as to what x y and z are ?
Heres what the suppler says

"N & L pair ring main IN,
L & N pair Ring main OUT,
A Pair from your switch"

L & N and switched L out

Hope that helps

The AC waveform symbol on the lower diagram would seem to indicate X is perm live,Y is neutral and Z is switched live.

The AC waveform symbol on the lower diagram would seem to indicate X is perm live,Y is neutral and Z is switched live.
Great thank you, wirepuller....do you think that I could use this PIR and have "override" functionality?

That i thought but the image seems to show that the blue x is the permant live , it must be upside down so brown permanent live red switch live and blue neutral so connect you over ride switch across the red and brown

Last edited:
Yes, as Flanders said, wire a manual switch between permanent line (x) and switched line (z) to manually operate the light.

Just a quick one guys, this this what you mean in order to get the override function to work?

Untitled.png

Reply to PIR wiring into override mode in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net