Discuss Plasterboard ceiling fixing solutions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bontjack

I intend replacing a pendant light fitting with a new light and fan unit (heavy weight), however the screws of the pendant were only fixed into plasterboard and not into the joist because the wiring exited the plasterboard in between the two joists.

The plasterboard is not going to support the weight of the new light fitting even with the expanding raw plugs..

What is the best solution for fixing the heavy light fitting at this point, as I cannot repoisition the wiring over to the joist as the ceiling is artexed.

Any ideas, solutions that i could use or try?

Thanks

only safe way is to fix a wooden batton between the two joists and drill a hole through it for your cable, by fix , i mean with decent wood screws, hope this helps, cls timber would be ideal for the batton.

There is access in the roof space above, but the is three layers of insulation with each layer running at 90 degrees to the previous. the joists are completely covered over and there little room to manoeuver around.
Therefore getting across the attic trying to find each joist to step on would be difficult and high risk of a misshap!

wooden batten it is then, just hoping there was another solution without having to go into the attic..

Not much choice but to go into the attic. If it's a heavy load (which it appears to be) .. a noggin would probably do. If it's too heavy (or deosn't have an easy fixing point, as happens occasionally) then a bit of ply between adjacent joists with a bit of noggin attached beneath the ply.

The attic it is then... at least you can get to it!

Suggest you wear rubber gloves and a mask!

At least you don't have to move furniture & lift floor boards etc... I know exactly what your facing as i've just spent 2 days doing the same. Can't think of any other option other than sending your lad in (if you have one).

them spiral fixings hold 15kg on vertical, dont know about a ceiling
Not in my experience they don't! They are often good for making a better fixing with existing fittings (where some numpty has just used a screw (plasterboard or otherwise) into the plasterboard ceiling to attach an accessory). However!! They don't take a lot of weight ;)

it needs to be into a noggin - if you can get to it above then that is the best answer. Just bang a few noggins in - use 3 by 2 or 4 by 2 and for the fitting use some decent length screws

The only PB fixings capable of any real strength are the spring toggles that open up like a butterfly.....but only on sound PB and installed in a carefully drilled hole so the PB is not damaged.
I wouldnt hold up anything heavier than an ordinary pendant with the spiral fixings....If you use them for something with a bit of weight,it'll fall down....guaranteed....whatever the manufacturers say.

Noggin all the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use all the fancy fixings that can be dreamed up,but in the end any fixing into the plasterboard is only as strong as the plasterboard itself

Loft insulation ?,no problem :D
Even german snipers didn't have to breath the stuff as they crawed around on their belly
We electricians become immune to any shock horror reactions by Joe public :rolleyes:

Either get up there and fix the wood and do the job correctly, or get someone who deals with it on a regular basis to do the job :)

Reply to Plasterboard ceiling fixing solutions in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock