Discuss Plasterboard fixings for light fittings.... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whazza22

I know it depends on the weight of the fitting, but in general, will plasterboard fixings hold the weight of a fitting?

Obviously better to put a noggin in between joists but not an option.

Cheers

I've used Rawl plugs for lights with no
Problem. Get the ones that are serrated along their length, and use the next size screw up, ie for red plugs, we usually use size 8, but instead use a 10. It's upto you to decide if this is adequate, but I've done it loads, with no problems.

If your talking about the corckscrew type, personally I dont like them. Toggles are the best option, or the other type that expand as you tighten them, similar to a rawlbolt. Others may disagree, but have a play and find what works for you. Don't forget to do the tug test.

Last edited:
Rawlplug UNO or Fischer do one (screwfix do them) With the Fischer the screw makes them twist and scrunch up. If going for the rawlplug I'd use the brown

How long is a piece of string ?
You have virtually answered your own question
If at all possible a solid fixing
If there is none and no possibility of fitting a noggin,then alternative fixings have to be used

The last thing we would want is a fitting dropping off the ceiling :)

The range of platerboard fixings are large and you get what you pay for, from a simple worm fixing, to sprung threaded toggle contraptions with wings
I would use the better option of winged fixings,but restricting that to something thats not going to be heavier than the strength of the plasterboard

A simple worm fixing or rawl plug is ok where something needs multi fixes. ie trunking,but I wouldn't rely on one for a light fitting.they can so easily pull through the plasterboard,the plasterboard itself being the big weakness

Only trouble with cork screw fixings is when you tighten them fully, then come to mount up the fitting then if you want to get the fitting down again for whatever reason I find when you undo the internal screw it locks to the cork screw and unscrews it also, this is a right pain if it's old plasterboard and you only had one shot at the fixing. Personally like umbrella fixings the ones with the setting tool.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with i=p/u, if you are already worried about the weight of the light, it must be a fairly substantial one so the best solution is to fit a noggin behind it if possible and that spreads the weight out considerably. I use the Hollow Wall Anchors where possible for fixing anything to dry lining walls or ceillings. (like screwfix Quote No: 18266 ) but you really need the tool to use them properly. Also with any kind of fixings like this, where the hole is for the cables the actual plaster board is weakened so may not take that heavy light fitting!

You could also go for the circular dry lining boxes, if you make it a nice tight fit the lugs make it quite strong!

Depend's on the fitting. If it's just a pendant I'll use worm's and screws but if it's a heavy light I'll put a nogging inbetween the joist's and screw too that.

I've never had a problem with worm's, must just depend on the quality of them.

if its just a strip light or a small fitting, just use Rawl drywall plugs, screw them in 95% not the full way, they give a better grip that way, you could make up maybe 2 small thin rectangles of wood and counter drill holes, then screw them to the ceiling using Rawl Drywall fasteners and just use self tapping screws (the kind the drywall fitters use on the metal joists) as long as you wont screw through a twin and earth or anything on the other side...

Reply to Plasterboard fixings for light fittings.... in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net