Discuss Plastered Ceiling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi - I have just had ceiling plastered - I have never cut holes in plaster before but am not to bad on diy. The ceiling was overboarded so I have cut bigger holes out of the lath plaster and measured with laser. I can also access from ceiling.

I want to know if I drill from the loft downwards to make a pilot hole is that ok to do - then I planned to buy one of those hole cutters. I do not have a speed controlled drill and the teeth on the hole cutters I have seen look really jagged - will they not wreck the plaster? When I look it up on line all the videos are cutting holes using these tools are on non plastered ceilings and just plain old plasterboard. What happens if I use a whole cutter on my drill with the ceiling plastered?

I am thinking of doing the holes with either this:

or one of these (but the teeth look like they would shred the plaster.... has anyone experience of using these on a plastered ceiling please?)

Which would you recommend?

Any advice appreciated - just nervous to cut the holes!
Thanks,
Arun

I am guessing this is for downlights? Just use a hole saw.. It will go through plaster and create a clean finish. Tip is go backwards on the drill at the end, that way you are less likely to cut any cables above..

As above, you'll be fine with a hole saw.

Make sure you know where the joists are so you don't cut into them.

and any small chips in the plaster will be covered by the downlight's bezel.

I must get me one of those dadddddddeeeee dust contraptions

I currently use one of those plastic covid face shields ?
heavily tinted of course. woudn't like to frighten female sparks from the trade. ??

Are you telling me you can get a tinted version ?
yep. ask any tanning salon out of the hundreds you got down there.

under 35, blonde. 35 -55, middle brown, over 55 grey. no problem.

I use one of those, but you have to remember to lower the drill vertically from the ceiling or all the debris falls out onto the floor, done that more than once.

Reply to Plastered Ceiling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock