Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Plasterer - stealing work from honest sparky in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

plugsandsparks

-
Arms
Esteemed
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Well, was asked to add 10 sockets to a ring and convert a double to a single to make way for the partition wall. Did all the pre-work, only thing left to do was break into ring and convert the existing socket. Was waiting for client to give me date and time to take the power off (its a 10way SP DB with up front RCD) so it meant no servers, no desktop, no phone system, no lights and no kettle ! -
Anyway plasterer had no such issues to deal with...

Any suggestions..... ones i can articulate professionally to client that is :banghead:

scoket.jpg

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
A

Air Conditioner

Is that wall straight looks a bit wonky to me!!!! (Oooppps this isn't the plastering forum)

ExArmy

-
Arms
did a house last week, walls had been skimmed over and all sockets just plastered in. same in the kitchen, tiles were further forward than the bloody sockets. had to split the ring down to find a fault which meant removing several socket fronts so made a right mess but what else was i supposed to do!

F

Frosty69

Are some tradesmen just thick? You would just ring the spark and say need you here now rather than do that! I would be taking my lump hammer out of the van and make his nice plastering not so nice!
I had it on a block of lats that I was installing a smoke vent system on and every cable was plastered in but no one elses cables t&e, fire alarm etc were so i went to local wholesaler and bought the largest hole cutter possible think it was about 200mm and drilled for fun!

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
You just can't teach that level of stupidity...

S

Swicade

Big hammer and jobs a good'un.....hammer on whats left of the twin socket rather than the new plasterwork maybe be adviseable.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
makes you wonder where they learnt their trade, if at all. makes pi$$ing in his finish really enjoyable at times.

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
Option 1: It's only a partition wall. The plasterer has been incompetent. Remove the part of the wall to do your job and get the customer to explain to the plasterer he has a problem to fix.

Option 2: do the above and plaster it yourself.

Option 3: power off! Multitool to carefully cut accessory in half to remove visible half, then rescue/crimp cables and move socket to where they want it.

plugsandsparks

-
Arms
Esteemed
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are some tradesmen just thick? You would just ring the spark and say need you here now rather than do that! I would be taking my lump hammer out of the van and make his nice plastering not so nice!
I had it on a block of lats that I was installing a smoke vent system on and every cable was plastered in but no one elses cables t&e, fire alarm etc were so i went to local wholesaler and bought the largest hole cutter possible think it was about 200mm and drilled for fun!
This builder when i met him just moaned about the state of the previous builders work and then did this with his plasterer - bizarre

plugsandsparks

-
Arms
Esteemed
Option 1: It's only a partition wall. The plasterer has been incompetent. Remove the part of the wall to do your job and get the customer to explain to the plasterer he has a problem to fix.

Option 2: do the above and plaster it yourself.

Option 3: power off! Multitool to carefully cut accessory in half to remove visible half, then rescue/crimp cables and move socket to where they want it.
Makes me laugh at the trade sometimes, i wait patiently for an agreed downtime, plasterer has his next job to go to and does that to get away.

Like the idea of getting it out without damage, might give it a go but there goner be off a long time me thinks as there is no way i can do that without tripping rcd - absolutely no chance.

F

Frosty69

This sort of thing really irritates me, it only takes a phone call and then the job would be a million times easier and the customer will now either moan that you have wrecked the plaster or the plasterer is a tool so either way a tradesman gets a bad name.
If we just communicated a bit better stuff like this would not happen

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Surely there should be a timber frame fixed to the wall. If so, who put it together, notching out for the socket ?
If not, it's just plasterboard and crap builder's work....not too bad to cut out a piece of board. Just an arse pain caused by ignorance.

Last edited:

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
Makes me laugh at the trade sometimes, i wait patiently for an agreed downtime, plasterer has his next job to go to and does that to get away.

Like the idea of getting it out without damage, might give it a go but there goner be off a long time me thinks as there is no way i can do that without tripping rcd - absolutely no chance.
You have access to isolate it, diss the neutral/line/cpc for the circuit at the CU ;)

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
If we just communicated a bit better stuff like this would not happen.

how do you communicate with a cretin like that? 4lb lump hammer?

F

Frosty69

Telectrix I live in hope for communication! I would definitely be using a lump hammer and be very enthusiastic with it! ha ha

S

Silly Sausage

Post this on the Plasterers Forum and see what moronic excuses they come out with.

K

Knobhead

What was the planned position of the wall?
Who's fault is it really?

ipf

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
As previously posted, who built the wall frame, not the plasterer, I'll bet. Combination of a lack of organisation and brain cells all round ?

plugsandsparks

-
Arms
Esteemed
You have access to isolate it, diss the neutral/line/cpc for the circuit at the CU ;)
Genius - you're right, its T&E and i reckon i could reliably find the associated neutral and earth. Not been in the CU but i reckon its doable.

plugsandsparks

-
Arms
Esteemed
What was the planned position of the wall?
Who's fault is it really?
Good questions, the location of the partition as determined by client and builder, i turned up after it was built. The joiner had made provision via a large knotch (sp).
I spoke to the builder and mentioned that i would need to move that socket. It was pretty obvious all round.
I then pre-wired all sockets, terminated and left two tails ready to break into ring elsewhere, spoke to client as i was worried that the builders would build a base unit and block in where i was needing to break into ring (existing socket)
Arrange downtime - came back and the good news is that i still had access to the tails but beaten to it by plasterer or whoever told him to regarding the socket move.
I basically needed to do the socket move at the same time as breaking into ring but beaten to it.
Bizarre thing is - no-one has even mentioned it. I emailed client tonight, see what happens

S

sparks1973

Well, was asked to add 10 sockets to a ring and convert a double to a single to make way for the partition wall. Did all the pre-work, only thing left to do was break into ring and convert the existing socket. Was waiting for client to give me date and time to take the power off (its a 10way SP DB with up front RCD) so it meant no servers, no desktop, no phone system, no lights and no kettle ! -
Anyway plasterer had no such issues to deal with...

Any suggestions..... ones i can articulate professionally to client that is :banghead:

View attachment 13950
whats up with it?...you`v got barriers n enclosures there....:drunk:

plugsandsparks

-
Arms
Esteemed
whats up with it?...you`v got barriers n enclosures there....:drunk:
Probably a silver lining really as we had a bit of a routine to go through to back the servers up etc, at this time i didn't know what cct was feeding what as there's no reliable labels and the servers could have been on the same ring. I did mention to the client that just one up front rcd is asking for nuisance tripping but the board is an old QOE so not upgradeable really. I suppose i am surprised it hasn't already tripped, he must have used really dryish plaster : lol
Anyway now i know the computers are not on the same ring i can use TQs suggestion and get my hands in the CU and dig out the T&E. Hope its not too much like a rats nest as i'm going to look stupid if i yank out a loose connection ~:-(

Strima

-
Arms
Esteemed
Looks like the stud work is protecting the outlet, possibly a bit of muck getting into the Neutral but the shutter might be holding it back...

What a cock...

Reply to Plasterer - stealing work from honest sparky in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom