Discuss Plastering directly over T&E in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

tedglen2

Hello all.

I have goggled filling T&E with plaster and there are a lot of responses saying plaster will corrode the cable?

Is this just a myth? Will I be ok to just clip the cables then plaster over myself!

Hello all.

I have goggled filling T&E with plaster and there are a lot of responses saying plaster will corrode the cable?

Is this just a myth? Will I be ok to just clip the cables then plaster over myself!

So have you consulted your electrician or is he a figment of your imagination?

He said plaster... just checking, because you never know if your dealing with a cowboy. Murdoch, there is no need to be a cocky **** now is there ?

Render or Multibond first then plaster for a smoother finish.....a thick depth of just plaster tends to shrink and crack.

I would always advise a qualified sparks checks any cableing first to make sure everything is correct before filling in as it prevents the possibilty of haveing to re-plaster when forms are being filled in due to faulty circuits.

not 100% sure meself but from reading other threads seems to be no problem.......unfortunately i'm one of those sparks that still uses capping as personal preference to just clipping, though the regs say capping isn't necessary (hard to teach and old dog new tricks i guess).

agreed capping looks nice but if wall being dot and dabbed (95% of time for me) I don't bother. Chases in existing walls, well, the capping is there to stop the spreads trowel (hence plastic capping) and its in a 'cut' in the wall so it's protected.

BUT I agree capping, done with skill and pride, looks best.

Although highly unlikely, it's my understanding that render is thought to be potentially destructive to PVC sheathing of T+E. So directly in plaster is OK but if installing in render use capping/conduit or other mechanical protection.

Ted, if you are ready to plaster than I am presuming that all the cables are in? This would be an ideal time to get the first fix tested for continuity and an insulation resistance test carried out.

This is where wago connectors work a treat:thumbsup

not ready for testing, just thinking ahead really !!!

Inspection and testing should be carried out before, during and on completion of works. It saves getting to completion and finding a fault. It is possible to find faults on new cable or for unknown mishaps to occur during installation. If you're thinking plaster and the first fix is not complete then it sounds like you may be jumping the gun ;)

Long ago in days of yore it was recommended that cables be capped. The Electricity Board inspector was liable to take an accessory off and see if the cables were loose (capped) or fixed (plastered) and I am told would refuse to connect if not capped (mine were always capped so never found out if this was true). I am told the cable sheath is now resistant to plaster and that used not be the case with the original PVC sheath. So bury in plaster, but I still prefer to cap them even in a chase.

Reply to Plastering directly over T&E in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock