Discuss Plastering in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

dixon9

How many of you do your own after chasing out walls etc...?

Pain to have to carry buckets and extra tools around?

Have a mate who does it for you?

Offer the customer a slight reduction if he takes care of it?

Or....It´s no problem - do it yourselves?

never done it never will,too much like hard work,i give the customer my mates phone number with a recomendation and in return he gives out my number.

As above.

It is a good idea to get in with as many trades as you can as they can get you a lot of work.

Last edited by a moderator:
i do do the plastering up to a point...if its like a full wall thats fallen off then its up to a plasterer..but chases in rewires and that kinda thing i do myself...
i dont like to liven things up untill its plastered up and set.
and in little jobs like putting an extra socket in etc its easier to just plaster myself then fanny aroiund getting a mate to plaster something and nothing.
That said..i hate plastering!

I explain to the customer what will need to be done and also have a couple of "tame" plasterers that I recommend. With small jobs, like moving sockets etc, if the damage is not too much, I carry a tub of ready mixed, one coat plaster in the van. Gives a decent finish on small patches quite easily.

I have some business cards I hand out of good plasterers and painters, but I don't do it. Matter of fact, my contracts specifically exclude plastering and painting. I always make it a point to let the customer know this verbally as well, lest there be any surprises. People don't read contracts, and I think it's something important enough to point out. Me and the plasters made an agreement a long time ago... I'll stick to electrical wiring, and they'll stick to plastering. You wouldn't ask your plasterer to add a socket, would you? ;)

I have some business cards I hand out of good plasterers and painters, but I don't do it. Matter of fact, my contracts specifically exclude plastering and painting. I always make it a point to let the customer know this verbally as well, lest there be any surprises. People don't read contracts, and I think it's something important enough to point out. Me and the plasters made an agreement a long time ago... I'll stick to electrical wiring, and they'll stick to plastering. You wouldn't ask your plasterer to add a socket, would you? ;)

Hi
I always do my own patching and even decorate ,fit carpets and anything else that needs doing whilst im there,i find it more theraputic than the electrical stuff,i love putting flat pack furnature together best;)

Hi
I always do my own patching and even decorate ,fit carpets and anything else that needs doing whilst im there,i find it more theraputic than the electrical stuff,i love putting flat pack furnature together best;)
Right. I had a customer ask me if I could take their dog out to pee while I was there working, since they would be at work. WTF? I had to decline. There's a sparky near me that does all sorts of weird other stuff. Here's an ad he ran in local paper the other week. I'm not sure I'd want to hire a guy who does "everything" Makes me scratch my head, wondering if he does any one of those things all that well:

Plastering {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Not sure why he's offering "Inexperienced help" - or maybe it's too early in the morning for me to think yet.

It surprises me that people sometimes think we are a free child-minding service. Some people seem to think that as we are adults, and in the house all day then we can mind the kids whilst they go off to work, shopping or just lying drunk on a park bench for a few hours. It comes as a shock when we say they have to be 18 for them to be in the house unnacompanied or we walk - even if we leave you without any power.

i had the same problem when i used to do the council rewires the mother was going to sod off to work and leave her 13 year old daughter in the house while i was working in their ,so i walked off the job,you could get accused of anything these days.

I cut out and make good all my work. For what it takes to learn to bond and skim over simple areas is a great extra money earner. And keep the client happy

Once had a client ask me to drive a ASton down to southern Spain....just bit my lip and did the trip !!!!!
As for kids. my clients and i have a huge level of trust. They know me . My only rule is the kids must never ever be in a room alone with anyone working. If they (Kids) enter they call for me or a nanny etc to remove them (boot up bum works fine for me !!)

i had the same problem when i used to do the council rewires the mother was going to sod off to work and leave her 13 year old daughter in the house while i was working in their ,so i walked off the job,you could get accused of anything these days.
Wait until you get the job where the lady of the house comes downstairs in all the kit (stockings, sussies, etc) and throws herself so hard at you, that you literally end up pinned in a corner with her trying to play tonsil tennis.

Reply to Plastering in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock