Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Plastic bayonet light fixture melted. What's the problem? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kingbroady

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

My landing-light bayonet's plastic housing has melted. Naturally it needs replacing but I would like to know what may have caused it and what should be done, please? ie Too much voltage etc?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Test Meter - Forum Sponsors since 2007!
C

Cirrus

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You need to check that the rating of the lamp (bulb) is not too high for the plastic. Also check the terminations inside and ensure that you have no 'arcing'. Assuming you are not a spark then maybe get one in to check all is safe and sound.

ian.settle1

-
Mentor
Arms
You need to check that the rating of the lamp (bulb) is not too high for the plastic. Also check the terminations inside and ensure that you have no 'arcing'. Assuming you are not a spark then maybe get one in to check all is safe and sound.
As Cirrus said check the connections as could be loose connection causing termination to overheat.

B

Bane

As above.

I had similiar problem a couple of week ago. Sheathing had gone on the Live.
Trimmed down and replaced.
(After isolating)

M

MrTrance

Could be loose connections on the terminations causing it to heat up, I had the same problem on a socket outlet, it was getting warm and my tutor at college just said to tighten up my L N & CPC.

B

BEN5637

mostly find that the plastic is heated over a period of time and becomes brittle normally from a 100w lamp. best solution is to use a 40/60w lamp and replace the lampholder and flex to the rose, some newer ones are 150w rated

Last edited by a moderator:
L

London Luke

i refuse to ever fir 80 watt + bulbs . the fittings are too cheap these days to take 100's etc

Aico 3000 Range

Reply to Plastic bayonet light fixture melted. What's the problem? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
Top Bottom