Discuss Plastic board above entrance with bs1361 fuses only - no RCD protection. How would you code that? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello engineers. I did EICR in two bed rented flat in a block of flats. There is old plastic fuseboard just above the entry door. There are only bs1361 fuses inside and no RCD. All luminaries are plastic.The board and wiring are in good condition. Any advise on how should i code that?Plastic board above entrance with bs1361 fuses only - no RCD protection. How would you code that? 20221004_173810 - EletriciansForums.net

Attachments

• Plastic board above entrance with bs1361 fuses only - no RCD protection. How would you code that? 20221004_162100 - EletriciansForums.net
    20221004_162100.jpg
    422.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Plastic board above entrance with bs1361 fuses only - no RCD protection. How would you code that? 20221004_162137 - EletriciansForums.net
    20221004_162137.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Plastic board above entrance with bs1361 fuses only - no RCD protection. How would you code that? 20221004_161233 - EletriciansForums.net
    20221004_161233.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 20
For the board itself - no code as looks to be in good condition and no signs of thermal stress, etc.

As for the lack of RCD, that would normally be C3 assuming no outdoor (or likely feeding outdoor) sockets and if the bathroom has supplementary bonding as per regs of the time. Otherwise C2.

Good guidance in the Best Practice Guide #4 free from here:

In particular the entries on pages 14 and 16.

Personally I would code the board a C3. That is if the exit is the sole means of escape. If you find loose connections etc then it could warrant a C2. The best practice guide as pc1966 says is very good guidance.

What observation are you making that you want help to code?
The fact that the board is plastic and above the entrance. Also i am a bit confused about those old type 1361 fuses with no RCD. Now if we agree with the cx. that i need to fit RCD, is it good idea to fit RCD in cooperation with the existing fuses or i need to replace the whole board ?

For the board itself - no code as looks to be in good condition and no signs of thermal stress, etc.

As for the lack of RCD, that would normally be C3 assuming no outdoor (or likely feeding outdoor) sockets and if the bathroom has supplementary bonding as per regs of the time. Otherwise C2.

Good guidance in the Best Practice Guide #4 free from here:

In particular the entries on pages 14 and 16.
No outdoor sockets or equipment.
In the bathroom, i could not see any bonding, and measured between the sink tap and MET the resistance was about 2 ohms.
Also the screw on the switch on the circuit was open circuit to MET- no cpc.

Attachments

• Plastic board above entrance with bs1361 fuses only - no RCD protection. How would you code that? 20221004_170909 - EletriciansForums.net
    20221004_170909.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 23
The fact that the board is plastic and above the entrance. Also i am a bit confused about those old type 1361 fuses with no RCD. Now if we agree with the cx. that i need to fit RCD, is it good idea to fit RCD in cooperation with the existing fuses or i need to replace the whole board ?

The fact that the board is plastic does not warrant any code.
You can't advise on remedial work until you have completed the EICR, your job is to report on what is there, not create a jobs list.

What is RCD protection required for in this installation?
Is it for additional protection? If so then assuming everything else is in order it is almost certainly a C3.
Or are RCDs required for fault protection? If so then it may well be a C2.

As I say I would code the board a C3. Regarding the bs1361 fuses, provided the efli values are ok and meet the fault protection requirements and disconnection times they are fine.
With respect to rcd protection. If there is supplementary bonding present in the bathroom then C3.
If the use of mobile equipment outdoors can’t be plugged in and used C3.
Otherwise both the above would be C2 if the there is no supplementary bonding and outdoor equipment can be plugged and used outside.
Things like for example cables embedded within the walls at a depth not greater than 50mm would warrant a C3 unless the cables are appropriately protected, as when the wiring system was installed it may have complied with the current edition of bs7671. Without personally carrying out the test though it is difficult to code. As the tester you may identify certain risks within the installation that may warrant a C2.
If they wanted the board changing and rcd protection installing then I’d change the DB for a metal rcd/spd board. Hope that makes sense. I’m sure someone will pull me if I’ve missed something.

Last edited:
How tall is the block of flats? Is it a HRRB? Does it require AFDD’s under amendment 2?

As I say I would code the board a C3. Regarding the bs1361 fuses, provided the efli values are ok and meet the fault protection requirements and disconnection times they are fine.
With respect to rcd protection. If there is supplementary bonding present in the bathroom then C3.
If the use of mobile equipment outdoors can’t be plugged in and used C3.
Otherwise both the above would be C2 if the there is no supplementary bonding and outdoor equipment can be plugged and used outside.
Things like for example cables embedded within the walls at a depth not greater than 50mm would warrant a C3 unless the cables are appropriately protected, as when the wiring system was installed it may have complied with the current edition of bs7671. Without personally carrying out the test though it is difficult to code. As the tester you may identify certain risks within the installation that may warrant a C2.
If they wanted the board changing and rcd protection installing then I’d change the DB for a metal rcd/spd board. Hope that makes sense. I’m sure someone will pull me if I’ve missed something.
Thanks mate, helpful info!

What does the DNO equipment look like. For instance does it have any RCCB or even RCD at the supply end. I assume this is a sub-main. How does the supply get to that CU?

So I am guessing there is no ryefield or main plant cupboard that one meter does the flat direct does it? Is that how all the flats are fed each with their own cut-out? Unusual.

So I am guessing there is no ryefield or main plant cupboard that one meter does the flat direct does it? Is that how all the flats are fed each with their own cut-out? Unusual.

Not unusual for the age of the installation as in those days the DNO would provide supplies up to each flat.

I live in a 90's built flat where each flat has a DNO installed supply to a cutout in a cupboard by the front door of each flat.

It's only more modern installations where the DNO stop at the incoming supply to the building and a BNO setup is required.

So it looks like the supply is run in tails to the top floor flat if you are saying that is the supply. In which case it is probably in walls less than 50mm? So an RCD would be needed then for the tails?

Reply to Plastic board above entrance with bs1361 fuses only - no RCD protection. How would you code that? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock