Discuss plastic cable clips banned in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have read article in PE about next amendment and cable supports having to be fire resistance etc.does this mean plastic cable clips will not be allowed.

Sorry if I have missed the point.

i think the article refers to cables clipped above exit routes , so the clips must not melt and allow the cable to obstruct escape routes.

I have read article in PE about next amendment and cable supports having to be fire resistance etc.does this mean plastic cable clips will not be allowed.

If that's the case what about plastic plugs holding cable supports?
Chemical fixings for them now?
Wouldn't have thought so.

This is how it is worded

521.200 Wiring systems in escape routes
521.200.1 Wiring systems in escape routes shall be supported such that they will not be liable to premature
collapse in the event of fire. The requirements of Regulation 422.2.1 shall also apply, irrespective of the classification
of the conditions for evacuation in an emergency.
NOTE 1: Non-metallic trunking or other non-metallic means of support can fail when subject to either direct flame or hot
products of combustion. This may lead to wiring systems hanging across access or egress routes such that they hinder
evacuation and firefighting activities.
NOTE 2: This precludes the use of non-metallic cable clips, cable ties or trunking as the sole means of support. For example,
where non-metallic trunking is used, a suitable fire-resistant means of support/retention must be provided to prevent
cables falling out in the event of fire.

Only my opinion. If the fire has got anywhere near that point, chances are the smoke has already done you, never mind tripping over a bloody cable!

Last edited by a moderator:
Windows in above garage conversions can be escape routes, stairways in houses, hallways, landings, front doors, back doors, patio doors, any ground floor window. fire resistant throughout then I guess (domestic)

Windows in above garage conversions can be escape routes, stairways in houses, hallways, landings, front doors, back doors, patio doors, any ground floor window. fire resistant throughout then I guess (domestic)

But how much of the cable is in containment that is likely to impede a exit route in them scenarios?

I saw that article in the free rag, if I remember correctly the coroner investigating the dear of a fireman tangled in cables started this all off with the fire officers requesting that all cables liable to fall down in a fire be included and not just those in escape routes.

Escaping people will have likely escaped before the fire gets to the point where cables start falling down, but the firemen will still be everywhere else looking for trapped people when the cables start to fall.

Reply to plastic cable clips banned in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net