Discuss Plastic conduit in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Jumbonipondon_squilobidon

Hi y'all,

was doing some 20mm plastic conduit last week and was luvvin it:)

I was doing set bends over me knees, and using rubber gloves to warm up da pipe. Does anyone use anything else to warm da pipe up? What do ya clean ya pipe up with before cementing.??

Love to get high on da cement/glue also........;)

Kettle of hot water.

Cleaner is somthing called MEK , which stands for Methyl Ethyl Keytone. This is a hydrocarbon and is very flammable, but to be honest not many use it, infact not many use glue either !

Kettle of hot water.

Cleaner is somthing called MEK , which stands for Methyl Ethyl Keytone. This is a hydrocarbon and is very flammable, but to be honest not many use it, infact not many use glue either !

Hi
I pulled somone up for not gluing once he said "It helps the pipe expand"which i see some logic in .so i asked him what happens when it falls out the boxes ,he said it cant ,so i ripped the lot out,wires and all ,i wouldnt sign his time sheat for that day ,and when he kicked off.the boss sacked him ,for bad workmanship,:)

so best to use the glue .;)

On site, if I have to do any heat shrinking around boxes, bushes and couplers I use the heat gun to make it more plyable.

Failing that the girlfriends hair dryer is the domestic equivilent! :)

Hi
I pulled somone up for not gluing once he said "It helps the pipe expand"which i see some logic in .so i asked him what happens when it falls out the boxes ,he said it cant ,so i ripped the lot out,wires and all ,i wouldnt sign his time sheat for that day ,and when he kicked off.the boss sacked him ,for bad workmanship,:)

so best to use the glue .;)

Fair point Rum. Not disagreeing with you. Never used it much myself, or any of the firms I have worked for, probably because someone forgot to order it one day and eventually we all got out of the habit.

Fair point Rum. Not disagreeing with you. Never used it much myself, or any of the firms I have worked for, probably because someone forgot to order it one day and eventually we all got out of the habit.

hi
To be quite honest i hardly use glue either ,the particular job i was citing ,it was supplied with cleaner and i had explicit instructions to make sure it was used by everyone ,that was a food wharehouse and the people working there,got so bored pulling the conduit off the wall ,was a popular passtime, along with blocking the toilet and putting chewing gum in the clocking on machine,infact anything to cause some disruption:)

if its cut to the right size dont see how it can fall out of boxes???

so thats how it falls out of boxes ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
to be honest i never glue

i could see how it could make a better joint, but on long runs when you join two tubes together you need to have expansion to stop buckling, and you wouldnt have expansion if the ends are glued

just my opinion!

Take it from most of the replies on here, people are talking domestic?
Why'd you warm the conduit?

Installed a bundle of it in a shop last week
All joints glued (They can rip apart without it when pulling the wires in)
Not a bend in site
I try to use manufactured bends as much as possible because it looks better and they are really cheap
Before the plastic came out Metal conduit was hard work
Plastic has been a godsend for a lot of installs and so much quicker
Does anybody remember the quickfitting metal conduit that was around a few years ago Push it together and lock with a screw
Is it still used ?

I've never manged to do a bubble in plastic without it looking like some handlebars off a crashed motorbike i'll rather do metal anyday.

hi
so would i .plastic conduit has its uses ,but i find metal almost as quick and it looks so much better:)

Installed a bundle of it in a shop last week
All joints glued (They can rip apart without it when pulling the wires in)
Not a bend in site
I try to use manufactured bends as much as possible because it looks better and they are really cheap
Before the plastic came out Metal conduit was hard work
Plastic has been a godsend for a lot of installs and so much quicker
Does anybody remember the quickfitting metal conduit that was around a few years ago Push it together and lock with a screw
Is it still used ?

i think its called indian conduit ,ive never put any in, but i ripped some out once ,does that count?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Plastic conduit in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock