Discuss Plastic light fitting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi to anyone who could help please,

In the below light fitting I have connected a single (red) wire to one side and a single neutral(black) wire on opposite side. There’s a spare black wire and three earth wires which I’ve connected to wago connectors. There are three spare reds which are isolated with tape that are not touched. When I turn the mains on the light comes on but cannot switch off. When I took the previous light fitting off the live, neutral and earth were connected correctly to respective terminals and could switch off fine. Why am I unable to turn off the light does anyone have an idea please

Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• Plastic light fitting 591740C5-4244-4E61-A49D-E3983E4D6FEE - EletriciansForums.net
    591740C5-4244-4E61-A49D-E3983E4D6FEE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
The “spare black wire” is a little concerning.
You really need to employ an electrician to trace the cables and find out which ones are live, switched live and neutral.

We can possibly “best guess” but we are unable to give step by step instructions due to forum rules.

If you post your location, there may be a forum member local that can help out

The “spare black wire” is a little concerning.
You really need to employ an electrician to trace the cables and find out which ones are live, switched live and neutral.

We can possibly “best guess” but we are unable to give step by step instructions due to forum rules.

If you post your location, there may be a forum member local that can help out
Did you take a photograph of the old fitting, before disconnecting anything?

Hi,

Thanks for your reply yes I’ve attached below, there’s two black neutrals and a single red. With the new fitting I’ve used the same red and one of the blacks used a wago connector on the other. To be honest I’ve tried both blacks on their own and together in the new fitting and I have the same problem?

Thankd
Chris

Attachments

• Plastic light fitting 0F3FC6D3-F476-4DBC-B277-99F0DE3EB74C - EletriciansForums.net
    0F3FC6D3-F476-4DBC-B277-99F0DE3EB74C.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
Probably the red in the fitting at the moment is a permanent live
The wiring connections seems to have been messed up by yourself

It would probably be a very simple job for a spark, so hopefully it may be not be too costly

Hi,

Thanks for your reply yes I’ve attached below, there’s two black neutrals and a single red. With the new fitting I’ve used the same red and one of the blacks used a wago connector on the other. To be honest I’ve tried both blacks on their own and together in the new fitting and I have the same problem?

Thankd
Chris

What you have done here is create a very dangerous situation by disconnecting the outgoing neutral wire, this will lead to it becoming live and a number of light fittings in the property not working but having both connections live.

It would be best to get an electrician to fix this for you and I would advise switching off the lighting circuit until it is fixed.

Reply to Plastic light fitting in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock