Discuss plastic pipe and earth. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
what's the point of having to run in a 10mm cable to the incoming water supply if it's blue elkathene plastic pipe,and the rest of the plumbing in the building is in hepworth plastic.My boss says we have to get the plumber to fit a 6inch piece of copper pipe after his plastic stopcock so as we can fit our earth clamp.Surely the water itself is a poor conductor.?

As per OSG 4.4 (p29):
"There is no requirement to main bond an incoming service where the incoming service pipe and the pipework within the installation are both of plastic".

Then you get the situation where the kitchen fitter has changed the plumbing and the stop cock is still copper then there's 6ft of plastic and then back to copper, where oh where are we supposed to clamp the 10mm earth bonding cable?

This a very tricky subject and can only be cleared by taking each installation as it comes.

The only way you can be sure if bonding is required or not is to test the resistance between the incoming pipework and a local CPC.

Then you get the situation where the kitchen fitter has changed the plumbing and the stop cock is still copper then there's 6ft of plastic and then back to copper, where oh where are we supposed to clamp the 10mm earth bonding cable?

....or 6" of copper then a carbuncle of plastic push fits where the kitchen fitter has thrown his proverbial spanner in the works

Steve

Hi guys, thats what i got told, just to run 10mm to main water in and leave there incase it gets changed at a later date????
Suppose if they pay me for it i dont mind.:D

In the IEE wiring matters mag I'm sure it said that bonding things when the plumbing installation was done in poly pipe actually made it a greater risk. :eek: I'll need to dig out the mag though......

One of the lads at work did this but there wasn't any copper so he bonded to the plastic pipe, very silly of him. The pipe then burst covering him and the house he was rewiring with water.

If you have plastic push fittings in the copper pipework you should install a bonding conductor across the fitting to maintain the conductivity.

See Pic. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have plastic push fittings in the copper pipework you should install a bonding conductor across the fitting to maintain the conductivity.

See Pic. :)

Warren,

If it was one or two then I could understand this.

The problem is the kitchen fitters use them like they are going out of fashion.

It is not uncommon to open the cupboard door under the sink and see a dozen of them in a maze of pipework and then there is the stuff you CANNOT see or even possibly get at behind the other cupboards / boxing in / floorboards. When it is like that, there is no real practical reasonable answer.

Steve

I'm a kitchen fitter,who uses end feed solder fittings(cheaper).

This situation with the earthing requirements is confusing,so I just earth it all,unless its obviously all plastic.

On a similar theme,how does ptfe tape on gas affect the electrical conductivity?

I'm a kitchen fitter,who uses end feed solder fittings(cheaper).

This situation with the earthing requirements is confusing,so I just earth it all,unless its obviously all plastic.

On a similar theme,how does ptfe tape on gas affect the electrical conductivity?
you would probably have tapered threads and the threads would bite thru the ptfe so I doubt it would affect it.

Sometimes if you talk nice to the plumber, he may put in a short piece of copper from the main stop cock for you to attach your clamp to.

Reply to plastic pipe and earth. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock