Discuss Plastic trunking in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

nto

Hi
Have posted a similiar question elsewhere, not to sure of correct forum, so thought I post in here aswell:)

I am running 3 ring mains into a new joinery shop, can I use plastic surface mounted patreses (sp), sockets and trunking, will it meet standards etc, I have used these in an office envioroment is it ok for a commercial one.

Alternativly can I mount the cable using suitable clips to a an mdf wall?

There is a pattern here, lack of funds me thinks:)

Thanks

sounds fine, just consider if the cables are suitablly protected for the enviroment for example the likleyhood of something being able to cut through both the trunking and the cable?

if heavy use and heavier mechanical protection is required use steel conduit for the drops or swa

I like the idea of the metal coduits for the drops, all the cable runs are about chest height(thats my plan) and located behind benches, so cant be damaged by machinery etc.

What about the mdf route though, the joinery shop, for obvious reasons, want to make the boxing them selves is this ok?

nto

problem is with joinery workshops is dust id be inclined to do the whole lot in steal conduit ,few years ago i spent three days vacuming out a buildup of sawdust from steel trunking right pain it had to be removed due to it being a fire hazard ,

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd do it all in steel tube with metal clad sockets. It's a work shop, it only takes one bench to move a bit or something to bang in to it and it will crush plastic trunking, boxes and cable.

I'd do it all in steel tube with metal clad sockets. It's a work shop, it only takes one bench to move a bit or something to bang in to it and it will crush plastic trunking, boxes and cable.

All good advice,obviously, who is the cheapest, do we get any discounts through this forum with any one, I'm a cheeky xxxx I know:D

Metal conduit is expensive and not cost effective

Why not use a high impact pvc conduit? As for surface clipping cable, you need to be more specific as to where it is and the environment it is in.

Hi

i would have thought that all accessories will need to be of a certain ip rating due to the dust and the possibility of an explosion.
Havnt got the regs to hand but im sure some one will clarify

regards
gary

Yes your right they do but you would be suprised where dust can get , the one i was talking about was a steel installation ,with a slight gap under the lids when i took the lids off it was 98% full of saw dust i was amazed:)

That makes alot of sense , i know the install i worked on was years old 1960's and all singles ,they didnt want to rewire and have to admit looking back the new circuits we installed were in SWA on a tray

Reply to Plastic trunking in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net