Discuss Plastic waste in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

James

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Plastics are great insulators, as sparks we use them a lot.
do we take enough time and care of this waste to ensure our grandchildren and there grandchildren will have the same privileges as us?
such as being able to eat fish that are not full of toxins, the list can go on but i am not going to list it all.

I think there are some Industries that could lessen plastic waste massively, retail/food packaging industry being the biggest culprit, certainly don’t agree with trump ( if it ain’t degradable then it’s going somewhere) in our industry being conscious of where we put the waste is probably all we can do as you say plastic great insulators and I can’t see that changing anytime soon.....I take damage to the planet seriously the generation before me not so much but my kids being the next generation take it very seriously, if everyone did a little it would soon add up.
We live 5 mins from the seafront and the way some people leave they sh!t on the beach is shocking...

In telecoms we use a lot of SFPs, Small form-factor pluggable transceiver. Each used to come in it's own box with foam packaging. Recently the manufacturer has decided each one should come in it's own plastic case.

Last few jobs we've had over 1200 to unpack and install...

Plastic waste IMG_2521.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

The sheer amount of waste really annoys me.

Plastic waste IMG_2566.JPG - EletriciansForums.netPlastic waste IMG_2567.JPG - EletriciansForums.net

Here's the thing; If thr powers that be actually gave a crap about plastics going into landfill they would legislation to put pressure on users and producers to find and use alternatives buuuut they don't so won't.

As consumers we get stuck with others choices.

Here's the thing; If thr powers that be actually gave a crap about plastics going into landfill they would legislation to put pressure on users and producers to find and use alternatives buuuut they don't so won't.

If we were that bothered the powers that be would act though, but we are all so busy stressing about this and that and so it goes on

If we were that bothered the powers that be would act though, but we are all so busy stressing about this and that and so it goes on

You're honestly telling me that those in power care about public opinion and/or inconveniencing the public by removing said plastics? No, they care more for Thier big corporate chums with Thier donations and backhanded dealings but hey, we can trust them right?

You're honestly telling me that those in power care about public opinion and/or inconveniencing the public by removing said plastics? No, they care more for Thier big corporate chums with Thier donations and backhanded dealings but hey, we can trust them right?
Sure but consumers drive change and if consumers were annoyed enough the manufacturers would have to change in the end so we all have our part in it, I'm not saying I know the answer just that we can't detach ourselves from the issue and say it's not our fault. If we buy something we are endorsing it really.

Why should we wait for 'the powers' to tell us what to do.
We are all individuals with the ability to decide how we act, if anybody actual wants to prevent the disaster we are currently causing then they will do it.

The human race is constantly inventing new ways to harm the planet, and I cant see that changing any time soon.

Well they are introducing levy's to companies (not sure of the exact details) for their plastic usage so on the face of it they do care. The actual main reason behind this initiative is more likely money driven though.
[automerge]1574254080[/automerge]
There is far too much waste produce in all sectors and it is is an issue. Recycling and biodegradable materials is the way forward. But limiting use where possible will significantly reduce the problem.
How many times have you purchased an item that has been seriously over packaged?!! If the suppliers are trying to protect against breakages during transit, then they should really be looking at the source of the problem not "patching" over by using more than required packaging.

Last edited:
But what is the root cause?
Greed and human nature as far as I can see,
In which case we need to be forced to change if we choose not to. I would be happy to be taxed far far higher if it went to the environment. I think the government needs to get really tough with us.

Route cause is suppliers making the conscience choice to not use materials that can be easily recycled AND local governments for not using waste companies that recycle everything; time and time again we get letters from local authorities reminding us what can and can't be recycled and the vast majority of the "can't be recycled" stuff CAN be recycled but Thier choice of waste management company doesn't have the facilities to do so.

You can argue supply and demand and consumers being the root cause but there has to be some responsibility on the producers and suppliers for the choices they make.

The wiring accessories I use, Hager, come in a cardboard box inside that box is 10 more cardboard boxes. Inside those boxes the individual accessories are each in a plastic bag, inside that bag is another plastic bag with the faceplate screws.

Cardboard I'm kind of ok with but the plastic bags I'm not so sure about.

Reply to Plastic waste in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock