Discuss Please Help Find a PIR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Billsybob

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a PIR occupancy switch that I can install in my bathroom ceiling above the bath? It will be used to automatically trigger the extractor fan which is loft mounted in-line type. I want it to trigger only when the bath is occupied so the PIR will need to have a narrow detection zone. I’ve not been able to find one. Am I asking for too much?

Many thanks

Chris

Edit
My other option is to use a flow sensor switch on the pipe going into the diverter (shower & bath filler). I see this has been mentioned before but never in much detail. I guess I would also need a relay?? Any help on this would be great.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that but I already have the inline fan and I have read about problems with the humidistat type, like they can run for hours on wet days and such.

Cheers

How about just wiring it to a switch...

Yes, as Spoon says - how about a switch? I have fitted an occupancy switch in a bathroom where there just was no space for another switch without a lot of mess. But they are another thing to go wrong. There are plenty of sensors to pick from at Outlets Various. To get it to trigger on the bath will take a bit of cut and paste of stickers that come with the sensor unit. Next question is how to fit it, as it may require some new wiring (e.g. perm L, SL, N) and its not really something to be fiddling with ... you could ask someone here to help out? Cheers, David.

You would simply need to have a suitably IP rated ceiling mounted PIR sensor and mask off the area you do not want detected.
You can either get a surface mounted disc or one that is recessed into the ceiling.
You could try a wall mounted sensor on the ceiling as they have a downward range of sensor and could be positioned into the bath area but getting the pick up right is difficult.
If you are modifying a circuit in the bathroom zones then this is building control notifiable (in England).

The narrow beam ceiling mounted PIR sensors tend to be in the £150 price range.

Thanks for the replies. I didn’t realise the detection area was customisable with stickers and such, that’s good to know.

Richard thanks for the link.

Seems very complicated, unless the bathroom is massive? When people use bathrooms, they tend to produce some form of 'steam', water vapour or otherwise! And they always seem to turn the lights on, so why not trigger the fan, in the convention way?

I simply don't want the fan to run when the room is being used to brush teeth or wash face or check hair/makeup or pee or you get the picture ;)
If someone does take the opportunity to spend some time on the toilet, will they have to wave their hand over the bath, to save their embarrassment? Air borne particulates are mentioned in Doc F. Air recirculation is a good thing in any building design. If your concerned about fan overrun, turn the timer down.
;)

If you install the fan properly it should be very quiet, I have an inline timer fan wired to the lights, the overrun is set to maximum, it can only just be heard in the bathroom, the sound of the shower covers it entirely, no problems if it runs at night, and no problems with condensation and mould. The silly little ceiling mounted thing that was here when I moved in was noisy and a waste of time.

Everywhere I go people have an aversion to ventilation. It's like they want to get ill from lack of ventilation. The last fan I installed, before I started the first thing the customer asked was where was the isolator going so they could switch it off!! Why would you want to do that?! They were shocked at how quiet it was once it was installed.

Another house, new this time and built to modern standards with extreme insulation and absolutely no drafts. The owner had taped cling film over all the fans, the house was unpleasantly stuffy and humid, and mould was growing on the walls and ceilings, the house was less than a year old. No other property on the site was in this condition. Proper ventilation is important.

Reply to Please Help Find a PIR in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock