Discuss Please help.....I used to be indecisive in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Canyon

Now Im not so sure.....!

Question for all you electricians out there.

I have been given good advise by a number of you already, I am just struggling at the moment with the big decision.

I would like to learn a trade, not to change jobs immediately, but to give me the opportunity to 1) learn something useful/worthwhile/rewarding and 2) Something that will give me an escape from deskjob in the future. 3) something that their will always be a requirement for.

Dont get me wrong, I know full well this is not an instant cash flow. But I do know with hardwork anmd determination, I will be able to progress and earn a living out of it.

The problem I have is that I cant decide between Electrician/Plumbing.

I dont have any experience in either, but I know both of them will be just as rewarding as the other.

I guess it is coming down to where there is more opportunity for work.....

Can anyone please provide any advice whatsoever......

Much appreciated

Cheers

Canyon

would say there's an equal amount of opportunity in both trades. depends which you prefer more. would imagine will both take around the same time to learn; same sort of work (i.e. hands dirty, using your noggin once in a while); wages relatively the same. so it's just down to personal choice in the end. :)

Do plastering.......I'm not being sarcastic there is a big demand for them at the moment.
But if its a ---- up between plumbing & sparkin just think along the lines of
"can you change my 30year old crud encrusted toilet & soil pipe":eek:
I know what I'd sooner be doing.... Cables every time for me :D.

Definately do electrics, plastering is hard hard graft, plumbing is awkward. With electrics it gives you more opportunites to do forgeiners and small jobs to earn you some good money. For example, you will always get people asking you to change light fittings, soclets, switches and add extra sockets and outside lights, downlighters etc.

But you dont get people asking you to change the odd radiator or fit a new kitchen every day do you? So i wouldnt bother with plumbing.

electrics take more thinking about so you won't be bored stiffless soldering joints all day

don't think that much soldering even goes on these days....see alot of plastique being used. and you can't say lectrics take more thinking about really; have seen some pretty impressive plumbing jobs. have done basic pipe soldering and what-not myself over the yrs just as diy but some of the more complex things like full heating/water installs are daunting to say the least.

A good spark will easily out - earn a bloody site manager Bane and they are all ----ers!:mad:

Tilers' do well for themselves. Though I'm sure a sparky or a plumber would too, I just can't vouch for that personally.

One thing I will say.

Always try to get the business in before training to 'test the water'. Always checkout 4 or 5 training centre's (for each trade) - always speak to other's in the trade beforehand (checkout our other forum's perhaps?) and never sit and wait for the phone to ring.

On our tilers' site we have umpteen threads that members have contributed all about how they got their business going - it's great for other's to read. We'll have to get something going on here too. I'll dig up something.

I just posted THIS thread to help people find work. :)

Last edited:
i think you should find one which you'll enjoy, and will be willing to learn the trade rather the one which is most paid. electrics is good, plumbings not my cup of tea, and tiling/plastering is a work of art to master.!!!!

Electrician over a plumber every time mate , but if i had chance to start over I'd take a serious look at being a heating engineer , not to be confused with a plumber , fixing boiler break downs , its good money and not too taxing physically .

Ste:)

Quote>> The problem I have is that I cant decide between Electrician/Plumbing. <<

Go the electrical route, and if it proves a little over your head, fall back to plumbing as plumber's are just failed electricians. :-()

Reply to Please help.....I used to be indecisive in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock