Discuss PLEASE HELP, need professional advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

shower25

I am installing an 8.5kw shower. the electric is already in place to the pull cord. It just needs connecting from the pull cord to the shower itself. I know it's only a case of connecting 3 wires this end, and 3 wires the other end. In the consumer unit, it has got a B32 fuse(?). The wire, I have been told, is 10mm. Does the B32 have to be changed to a higher one, for example a B38, for the 8.5kw shower? I have been told it does by a sparky, but not sure if it is true, as there was previously a shower installed by the last tenants. I can put a plug on, I can wire a cooker up, so I'm sure I could do this shower myself as it's only Earth Neutral and Live. Is this sparky telling me the truth- do I really need a different fuse? Or is he just trying to get £50 out of me? I have no idea of the going rate, & this is cash in hand.

Thanks in advance
N

Be safe get a sparky in, do you really wanna take a chance if you and your family will be using the shower, for £50, small cost for piece of mind

it will need uprating to 40A. your 8.5kW shower should pull 36A. while the 32A will stand this amount of overload for plenty of time to have a shower, it's undersized. you say you can wire from the switch to the shower yourself. maybe so, but 10mm is not the easiest cable to cram into an enclosure and the work should be notified to building control, ( their fee is far more than a spark will charge you. ) at a rough estimate, the job including breaker, cable , testing and notification should not cost more than about £80.

The questions that your are asking indicates that you are not an electrician. This job is not just a case of fuse sizes or cable size. There are other factors involved to be safe and to comply with current regulations. The electrician who advised you is correct. Why have you asked his advice ignored it and then asked for help here.
Please employ an electrician to do the work as it is obvious that you do not have a clue.

I am installing an 8.5kw shower. the electric is already in place to the pull cord. It just needs connecting from the pull cord to the shower itself. I know it's only a case of connecting 3 wires this end, and 3 wires the other end. In the consumer unit, it has got a B32 fuse(?). The wire, I have been told, is 10mm. Does the B32 have to be changed to a higher one, for example a B38, for the 8.5kw shower? I have been told it does by a sparky, but not sure if it is true, as there was previously a shower installed by the last tenants. I can put a plug on, I can wire a cooker up, so I'm sure I could do this shower myself as it's only Earth Neutral and Live. Is this sparky telling me the truth- do I really need a different fuse? Or is he just trying to get £50 out of me? I have no idea of the going rate, & this is cash in hand.

Thanks in advance
N

The fact that you are asking about overcurrent protection is proof that you shouldn't be doing this job.
No, it is not quite like fitting a plug. Get a qualified electrician in.

I'm sure one of us or your existing electrician would be happy to help you.

£80 has been mentioned and that is a reasonable rate.

would you connect up your gas boiler? - after all it's only a bit of copper pipe.....

If the shower was installed by the previous tenants that means you are either a tenant or landlord. Either way the installation will have to be done by an approved electrician with the correct paperwork raised and notification carried out as it is a special location and to satisfy insurance requirements.

You don't even know that the earth supplied is ok without testing, is it RCD protected, etc etc etc. Please get a qualified approved electrician in. Cash in hand work will not give you the required Minor works certificate and building control notification.

Thanks in advance
N
Chances are it will work fine on a 32amp MCB. There is a very small possibility it would trip if the shower was left on for a long time but its unlikely.

You should really get a qualified spark in but a 8.5kw shower will pull aprox 36.95 amps at full power so you will need a B40 mcb and you need to make sure it is covered by a 30ma rcd so do it right get a spark in!!!

Do you have the installation instructions? Does it say must be installed with a RCD? Do you have RCD's?

Many questions.....

Post you location and I'm sure that somebody here will be able to help.

Chances are it will work fine on a 32amp MCB. There is a very small possibility it would trip if the shower was left on for a long time but its unlikely.

??? Chances are it will work fine on a 32A MCB. ???

Cone on an 8.5 KW shower will draw 37A. Not very good advice.
Back to basics I think.

??? Chances are it will work fine on a 32A MCB. ???

Cone on an 8.5 KW shower will draw 37A. Not very good advice.
Back to basics I think.

Maybe you should take a look at the trip current carachteristics of a 32amp MCB....If you think it will trip the second it passes 32amps you are very much mistaken.
Back to basics I think.

agree. it will not trip for quite a while, if at all. however leaving a 32A on a circuit that draws > 32A contravenes 433.1.1

Maybe you should take a look at the trip current carachteristics of a 32amp MCB....If you think it will trip the second it passes 32amps you are very much mistaken.
Back to basics I think.

When carrying out design calculations the MCB should be selected based upon the full load of the equipment it is supplying.
i am fully aware of the tripping characteristics of MCB devices and the reasons for them. I guess if you follow your reasoning a 32A type D MCB should be ok to carry 640A

If you think you are safe and competent doing it then carry on.
Just to let you know this is notifiable! therefore you have to pay the LABC to inspect it - this will cost over £100.
If you got a sparky who will charge £50 then get them to do it - but make sure they are registered!

As said it needs to be upgraded to a 40A - dont know where the electrician came up with 38A as these I have never come across before and Im sure that not many others on here have!

Electric and Water do not mix so dont risk it - also save yourself some money and get a sparky in - happy all around

wonders if the equal potential bonding is up to scratch? and im asuming theres a light in this special location, what zone is that in? And im sure your capable of testing the Zs of the circuit afterwards..
If your willing to spend £120 on a shower why not spend half that amount again and get it installed safely?

Reply to PLEASE HELP, need professional advice in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock