Discuss Please Help ! Ring fault finding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Joe Hyde

Practicing for my 2395 C&G on a friends house
tester KT63 6 month old
he has 3 ring finals for sockets in his house, reason he asked me if I would test his house is that his RCD keep tripping out overnight ( once a week )
1st Ring final Circuit is fine
Circuit 2 has given me some results I don't understand, I wondered if anyone could shed any light
Firstly may I say RCD Test Trips at 1/2 in both directions, *1 and *5 are both under 40ms. Unless MCB for circuit 2 is Off , then RCD passes all tests !
( Changed RCD for a new one and same results)

Results so Far for circuit 2
Continuity
L-L 0.89 Ohms
N-N 0.89 Ohms
cpc-cpc 1.23 Ohms

also tested cpc to Earth bar and got continuity of 0.9 Ohms

another off the cuff test showed continuity between Both L of the ring to another Ring circuit he has ( Circuit 3 ) his upstairs sockets reading was 228 Ohms
No continuity between N of circuit 2 and Neutral Bar.

I split the N on the ring and tested Long Lead each N back to the CU
One way was 1.01 Ohms the other was 900 Ohms

Fig 8 testing I did not get round to doing yet as his wife came home and wanted the electric back on !!!

I managed to do a quick IR test before wife came home ( lots of neons so I did LN to cpc ) everything unplugged on the circuit and I got a reading of 0.08 M Ohms !!!

Any Ideas would be most welcome ,

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Practicing for my 2395 C&G on a friends house
tester KT63 6 month old
he has 3 ring finals for sockets in his house, reason he asked me if I would test his house is that his RCD keep tripping out overnight ( once a week ) Most probably has to do something with of peak economy 7 heating system
1st Ring final Circuit is fine
Circuit 2 has given me some results I don't understand, I wondered if anyone could shed any light
Firstly may I say RCD Test Trips at 1/2 in both directions, ( it shouldnt trip, I have a feeling you have acumulative earth leakage on that same heating system,with existing leakage and you introdusing 15ma, you going over the limit of that RCD) *1 and *5 are both under 40ms. Unless MCB for circuit 2 is Off , then RCD passes all tests !
( Changed RCD for a new one and same results)

Results so Far for circuit 2
Continuity
L-L 0.89 Ohms
N-N 0.89 Ohms
cpc-cpc 1.23 Ohms

also tested cpc to Earth bar and got continuity of 0.9 Ohms

another off the cuff test showed continuity between Both L of the ring to another Ring circuit he has ( Circuit 3 ) his upstairs sockets reading was 228 Ohms
No continuity between N of circuit 2 and Neutral Bar.

I split the N on the ring and tested Long Lead each N back to the CU
One way was 1.01 Ohms the other was 900 Ohms

Fig 8 testing I did not get round to doing yet as his wife came home and wanted the electric back on !!!

I managed to do a quick IR test before wife came home ( lots of neons so I did LN to cpc ) everything unplugged on the circuit and I got a reading of 0.08 M Ohms !!!(obviously no good, investigate with proper testing)

Any Ideas would be most welcome ,

Thank you

My bet is on, L to E or N to E short on economy 7 heating circuit.
Best regards: Al

Hi,

On initial reading of your post I am thinking you have an interconnection between Ring 2 & 3. If my calculations are right you have a ring of 120mtrs. If you have continuity back to the Earth Bar from the Cpc's of Circuit 2 then this needs investigation, also with the IR results you have on Circuit 2; was this with the appliances isolated just on circuit 2 , or Circuit 2 & 3 ? The readings you obtained on the the RCD are satisfactory except for the X 1/2, but you say this tests OK with circuit 2 switched off, more cause for concern.
I would certainly be looking at isolating Rings 2 & 3 and carrying out further tests to determine what you have there, hope this all makes sense,

Regards.

Hi,

On initial reading of your post I am thinking you have an interconnection between Ring 2 & 3. If my calculations are right you have a ring of 120mtrs. If you have continuity back to the Earth Bar from the Cpc's of Circuit 2 then this needs investigation, also with the IR results you have on Circuit 2; was this with the appliances isolated just on circuit 2 , or Circuit 2 & 3 ? The readings you obtained on the the RCD are satisfactory except for the X 1/2, but you say this tests OK with circuit 2 switched off, more cause for concern.
I would certainly be looking at isolating Rings 2 & 3 and carrying out further tests to determine what you have there, hope this all makes sense,

Regards.

All makes sense , thanks ! IR only had circuit 2 isolated, ( but I thought the LN to Cpc test would negate plugged in items ) ? I am only learning so please correct me if im wrong !
The house has had many alterations and extensions , I guess these have not been done correctly !
Isolation of circuit 2 on its own does De-energise all identified sockets on this ring ( Kitchen Socket ring ) I have not started testing on Circuit 3 yet ( Upstairs sockets including extension added a few years back ) I would have thought a full interconnection would leave circuit 2 energised when off if circuit 3 was still on ? )

Thanks alos to the other reply I had however there is no economy 7 Heating system installed.
I am agreeing about an earth leakage somewhere, I have inspected all socket outlets & junction boxes on the ring and all correctly wired.

Mainly worried about the IR of the kitchen sockets as they are all metal front plates ! ( Hopefully this has been caused by something plugged in on an unfound socket maybe in the upstairs extension )

Thanks for helping
Joe

Hi,

My thoughts as to the cross connection was coming from the Cpc to Earth Bar reading (although this could possibly be a connection to Earth from the ring to Water or Gas pipework ) and the spurious connection between the two rings. Like I say further testing will no doubt sort this out.

Regards.

Reply to Please Help ! Ring fault finding in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock